Brake pad wear rate issue

Hi all, was wondering if anybody else has come across the problem, of rear brake pads wearing out faster than the fronts!!!!!!:eek: Car is 07 plate 1.9tdi elegance estate, with 18900 miles, just been serviced last week, no mention of brake wear from dealer. Just had a look through alloys, and can see that rear offside pads are very nearly touching disc, and nearside is nearly the same, will need replacing very soon. But front pads appear to be only half worn. This cant be right, can it? Never had this problem on any of my previous octavias. Any ideas?

Well put it this way my 54 Plated Octy 2.0TDi is still on the original pads and the Car has done 50K miles. So they should last longer than what you are experiencing, unless you are Taxing or a Driving Instructor ;)

Unfortunately I am using it as a Taxi, so lots of stop start town driving will lead to heavy pad wear, but cant understand why the back pads are wearing out faster than the fronts! Will probably have to ask my local dealer to look at the braking system, but was hoping to get some info on this forum before I take it to dealer, incase he tries to fob me off with same lame answer.

hows it going i too have terrible wear rate on an 06 octy 2 .. deal has changed rears twice , says thats just the way they are ???

coincidentally mines a taxi too

what is it with octavias and rear brakes ,our vrs is still mooing and droning from the rear, so much so ( and this kills me ) i am going to submit , accept defeat and install non oem equipment this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Mgpd, just out of curiosity, did the dealer charge you for replacing the rears or did he do it under warranty. I just cant believe the rear pads can wear out quicker than fronts. My mk1 octavia had rear shoes and did not need replacing until 70,000 miles.

I have a Superb with the same problem - the rear pads wear out 3 times as fast as the fronts. This is particularly idiotic as the wear warning system is fitted at the front.

The reason is that the early VAG cars using this platform did not have ABS and therefore needed a pressure limiting valve for the rear brakes. Now ABS is fitted, the limiter is no longer required as the rears cannot lock, but of course they now do far more work without the limiter especially when the car is lightly loaded.

VAG do not support their older designs - **** ups (like the water ingress on the Superb) stay for all time. "Pattern" pads from German Swedish & French are made by Textar and are identical to the OE pads, even down to the numbers stamped in the backplates. Obviously cheaper - guess which I fitted.

rotodiesel.

of course dealer charges , they charge for everything ,, no such thing as free love.

between time materials and effort on last service (small service oils etc) just over 500 euro incl the brakes .

was kind of pushed into having the brakes done in case it is shown to be a fault at later stage