Felicia breakdown - alternator?

A couple of hours ago my Felicia Combi decided to show me how nice and bright the dashboard warning lights were:rolleyes:

First the "battery" light, which I must admit had put in the odd appearance yesterday, and then the airbag warning light which stayed on.

I then seemed to lose all power and spent 30 soggy minutes for the breakdown guy to say "that's your alternator guv"

Now I'm sure I've seen a couple of articles on this website referring to the airbag warning light being an indicator of other problems. Unfortunately I can't find the posts at the moment so can anyone please give me some clues? I don't see any point in replacing the alternator if it's just the voltage regulator etc.

Many thanks in anticipation

catman:(

All of which presumes that you actually can change the control box on the Felicia alternator separately from the genny part I'm afraid.

IME the airbag warning light tends to indicate low electrical power or problems with the airbag system.

Replace the alternator and the problem is solved! Have experienced this 3 times. If the airbag sign still is on after replacing the alternator the generator might need a replacement............just like I had to to last week!

Good luck!

Quick update:

This evening I tested the battery while the engine idling and measured approx 13V so voltage regulator looks okay? Also while it was idling there were no warning lights other than the handbrake light..... Loose wire perhaps?

Replace the alternator and the problem is solved! Have experienced this 3 times. If the airbag sign still is on after replacing the alternator the generator might need a replacement............just like I had to to last week!

Good luck!

An alternator is a form of generator mate. The slightly unusual thing is that alternators produce alternating current (hence the name), which has to be rectified to DC for car systems.

Quick update:

This evening I tested the battery while the engine idling and measured approx 13V so voltage regulator looks okay? Also while it was idling there were no warning lights other than the handbrake light..... Loose wire perhaps?

Sounds entirely plausible, although I'd expect more like 14v from a fully healthy alternator. You'd not done a slow (engine speed) run with lots of electrical kit on when you were getting the warning lights were you?

The other question now in my mind is whether or not the engine was turning over slower than normal when you had the alternator light on?

Yesterday when it gave up, I was on the motorway doing about 55mph with lights and wipers on because it was chucking it down.

The day before, the light was coming on whenever I was doing "urban driving" i.e. gear changes and braking. On the motorway, at a steady 70 it was off but then I wasn't using lights or wipers etc.

The battery is now out (what an exercise that is) and on charge ready for the next instalment tomorrow. Will keep you posted and thanks for the advice and encouragement so far.

Catman

Well the battery appears fine after a night on charge. Felicia started without any problem or excess dashboard lights this morning but I expect they will put in an appearance if I continue to use the car with a duff alternator.

Decided to remove alternator - big problem. Lower mounting through bolt was probably last secured with an air wrench in the garage before I bought the car. It doesn't help that it's difficult to get to:(

Any suggestions apart from my next thought which is a hacksaw and a new through bolt!

Now if it was the voltage regulator I could replace that without needing a socket wrench with a three foot handle! :rolleyes:

Now if it was the voltage regulator I could replace that without needing a socket wrench with a three foot handle! :rolleyes:

exactly how i did mine. it had been off before to be fair. although the one i replaced it with i also removed, and it was original untouched.

dunno. get stronger maybe? ;)

Just a quick note that might be helpful. I found out when my alternator threw a wobbly and started chucking out 17 volts that the airbag warning light comes on because if the vehicle is producing either too much or not enough charge the airbag system gets shut down.

I wish I knew that before I ended up having to get towed back to Cardiff from Durham! When the airbag light came on shortly after leaving Cardiff I said "bugger, oh well I'll get the airbag looked at when I get home" and carried on up the motorway to Durham for 5 hours because nothing else seemed untoward. When I got there and slowed down after leaving the motorway something stunk. I opened the bonnet when I got to my destination to see smoke pouring off the battery and most of its contents running down the engine bay. Cue recovery lorry to bring me back to Cardiff. I changed the battery and alternator myself but had to pay 35 quid to the Skoda dealership to turn the airbag warning light off.

With mine the airbag light went out and so did not need to be reset. I don't think therefore that my battery was producing too much. It probably came on because with no functional alternator to keep it charged, the battery was producing too little power.

Hoping that all is now well under my bonnet!