Servicing question from a newbie

This question is going to seem very dumb to you guys so my appologies in advance.

I have recently puchaced a 52 plate vRS which according to the service book was originally put on variable servicing. The previous owner wasn't happy about having a car running for 20k on the original oil it left the factory with so got it serviced at 10k. He said that Skoda were a bit funny about it and they left a little note in the service manual stating that it was on variable servicing (which he already knew)

Anyway, not being overly keen with the service he recieved at Skoda he then got the car serviced at an independant. Clocking up a further 3 services the latest being at 37k a month or so before I bought the car on 38k.

Right, now thats out of the way on to my question :o

What am I best off doing with regard to servicing? Keep getting it serviced with standard oil (as it has been since its second service which was done at 18k) at the regular 10k interval or can I / should I get it done at Skoda and go back on the variable servicing?

I've done a bit of reading around but it does seem rather confusing :worried:

Personal preference really.

Mine has had 2 Variable services 20K & 37K now at 51K. Once the next service flashes its going over to fixed servicing.

Variable servicing cost twice the amount of a fixed service. So 2 services @ 10K maybe cheaper than 1 @ 9K-20K (variable).

Ah ok, so you can chop and change between the two. I wasn't sure if after you've come off it you couldn't go back :o

TBH fixed 10k servicing done by my local independant (who I've used for past 8 years and parents have used even longer) seems favourite.

I guess time will tell with my next question but assuming that, as far as the car knows, it was never taken off of variable servicing can I expect a "service me now" message that I can't shift?

You can chop and change whenever, but best only at service times, not halfway through.

With a VAG COM you can check what it is set to, Fixed or variable.

If i was you as you have only done 1K and it was done not so long ago, you could do a manual dash reset and this would put it on fixed 1 year/10k interval.

You would then know it was fixed.

Its only my thoughts, but see what other post. Hope that helps a little.

Got ya. Thanks for your help :thumbup:

I'll text the guy I bought it from and ask him if he did a manual reset when he last got it serviced. If not I'll keep an eye on the mileage for the next 9k or so then do a manual reset when I get it serviced and belts/waterpump changed.

I guess it must be as the car will be 5 years old in December (christmas eve to be precise :P )

Isn't that a recommended interval though as according to the service book there is no time restriction as such? I had planned to get it done with the next service which will probably be in about 9 months time. If this is pushing it I'd rather just get it done now.

Its is a recommedation, 4 yrs/60K.

Plenty of info on here, the search will throw up loads of info. better safe than sorry.

Also make sure you get a metal impeller water pump fitted at the same time.

As the plastic one...........................breaks up.

Water-pump.jpg

:eek: will make sure I get a metal one on there then :P

Cheers for the info, I thought I'd done my homework, seems I've still got alot to learn :o

Servicing was a fair bit simpler on my 306. Every 9k/1yr end of, and sticking to the cambelt interval in the book didn't end in disaster :P

EDIT- just saw your link. Got to drop our other car off for a service and MOT so I'll book it in then :(

I knew nothing when i bought mine, this place has educated me well.

The cam belt is the only real major thing on the octy.

A few common faults i have had on mine since owning are:

Knocking from front, caused by broken radiator mounts, Fixed under warranty.

Brake light switch failure caused no brake lights or cruise control. A new switch from Skoda sorted that for

Well my mechanic didn't want to touch the cambelt :finger: :P

To be fair his reason was that as he'd never done one before lots of time spent with him flying blind at a reasonable rate could end up more expensive than the main dealer charging a fortune but flying through it.

He did come up with a tidy little solution for my exhaust problem though. Basically he said he can weld some bar, bent at the right angles, to a clam and then add that to the pipe section behind the box. Saving the need to weld onto the crappy bit of the backbox :thumbup: Well that was my understanding, I was just stood nodding saying "yup, sounds good" as usual :o

Anyway my main reason for digging this thread up is that as I've now got to book it in at the main stealers for the belt and pump do I need to ask for anything specific with regards to the water pump? Is the metal impeller one now standard or is that an uprated part that I need to ask for? Also what price should I be looking to pay up to as I don't want to get shafted :rolleyes:

TIA :)