Original Octavia Xenon headlights

I don't think it'll be just a straight swap.

the head lights themselves are self leveling which work off senors on the suspension f&r.

also the control units on the back of the headlight unit has to be coded in to the vehicles central electrics.

(may need new loom too)

It's not a straight swap. The connectors on the headlight units are different for a start. You would need sensors on the front and rear suspension and their looms etc. The self leveling is programmed via vag com so they must be linked into some sort of electronic control unit somewhere.

I read on here about a company making leads allow you to plug them in and I think use the standard beam level adjuster, They wouldn't be strictly legal but I think it's the only way you will get them to work. A search should find the companies name, I can't remember I'm afraid.

Hey guys

does anyone know how difficult it is to replace the sidelights in these units. I've had a quick look at them but it looks like you have to disturb a lot just to get access to them.

Thanks in advance for any advice

It's not difficult, but it takes a while! You need to disconnect the battery, remove the 8mm bolt which holds the indicator in and then remove the indicator unit. Remove the 4 torx screws which hold the headlight unit in place and withdraw it, removing the plugs on the back as you do.

With the headlight out you need to remove the 6/7 torx screws which hold the rear cover on the light (you can leave the ballast attached to the rear cover). Once the cover is off you can see the sidelight bulb holder - pull it out and swap the bulbs over.

Refitting is a reversal of removal.

Hmm damn it, I hoped it would be an almost straight swap.

So you are sayng the headlights wont work without the level adjuster?

Well if you found a wiring diagram you coukd probably wire them in with a lot of bodging,. to make them light up. the beam would be a problem.

Like I say, if you found the company which makes the adaptors then you would be able to plug them in and they would function as your standard lights do. Factory xenon equipped cars don't have the little roller switch next to the headlight switch to alter the beam hight, it's done automatically.

Thanks Phil :)

I still dont get this though ... after mounting the xenon lights will I be able to use my manual headlight level adjustment?

I think that's how they work but I'm sorry, I can't guarantee it. It may be that they allow you to plug them in and you loose the load adjustment facility. The Xenon units have motors in though so it would make sense for them to have incorporated them!

RE the HID kit, the standard Octavia headlight isn't really very good for xenon bulbs; you will get a lot of glare from them and most probably a lot of unhappy oncoming drivers!