What is the plastic shield behind front spoiler

Hi,

Today I went through some road works and there was a large bump in the road. As I went over my tyres bore the brunt but when I heard a noise I found the plastic cover/ shield hanging down from under my front spoiler.

I need a new one but does anyone know firstly what it is or how much its likely to be to replace?

There seems to be three parts - left, right and centre, all hooked under the spoiler and bolted together.

Any ideas???

Stu

These are bits of plastic probably to prevent water spray getting into the engine. The outers bolt to the wheel arch liners so help tie all the front plastic bits together. With regards to cost, I replaced my outer pieces recently (garage didn't put them on correctly so at motorway speeds, they came detached where they slot into the front bumper shell). Cost-wise I can't quite remember but I'm sure they were less than

Thank you very much.

You've put my mind at rest.

Are they easy to fit myself and where should I get the bits?

Or, will most garages suppliy and fit for a reasonable cost?

I'm loathed to go to Skoda as they charged me

• 6 months later...

The grey plastic lower shield part of my front bumper detached last weekend on my Octavia TDi 1.9 (SLX 110 BHP).

The whole thing came off at the front and was hanging down from the bumper, only held on by a few remaining screws on either side at the rear where it attaches to the wheel arch liners. One or two screws were missing and part of the slot on one side of the bumper was also split where it clips on.

What I don't understand is that the entire thing is in one piece, not three as described in the above post. Can someone please clarify.

Also, are there supposed to be any screws underneath to hold it on? I can't see any sign of any or any suitable holes, so assume it is only held on by the clips around the bumper edge and the screws on the wheel arch liners.

Is the lower shield actually needed, other than for aerodynamic effect? The large plastic engine undertray is still in place to protect the engine from spray.