Fabia advice

bb150297

Hello

I'm looking at getting a 2nd hand Fabia hatchback.

However (depending on how much money comes through an inheritance) my budget might only be 3-5k, so it would probably be a fairly early model.

Anything in particular I should look out for, engines to avoid?

In general would this be a good use for my money or would I be better advised to hang on for a few months and up the budget (currently driving a 1.6 Felicia, which I was very happy with until 3 weeks ago, but had to spend a lot on the MOT and had a fairly expensive breakdown (fuel pump failure).)

Did a quick search on the Skoda web site. My Grandad has a 12v 1.2 and he loves it - these should be available in main dealers for 4-5k. His is a Silverline - they are fairly basic but have alloys and a leather wheel. Of course you pay top dollar at a main dealer so you may get more for your money elsewhere. Don't know too much about the differences between the various 1.4 models you can get - I know they don't all have the same engine. I really like TDis but these are pricey. I'm sure you'll get plenty more advice here anyway!

If you are on a budget then I'd probably go for the 1200 12V engine , on something like a Comfort or Ambiente spec , not too basic , but not top dollar prices like the TDi elegance and the vRS. Ive got the 1.4 MPI and I think its fine but if you have up to £5K to spend you would be able to get a newer model than mine (mine is a 2000 model year car) Have you done a search on the autotrader website? Just decide whether you want to buy private or trade , how far you are willing to travel and how much you want to spend , and the website will do the rest , you should find plenty of cars within 60 or so miles that might suit your needs.

Look out for leaking doors (especially rears) , clunking suspension (worn bushes normally) , power steering problems , head gasket failures on the 1.4 MPi , piston ring failures on the 1.4 16V (burning oil). Try and get a car with a good warranty , as you may get a few niggles with an older car , unless the previous owner has sorted them all out!

I got my 2004 1.4 16V (100 BHP) Comfort (with a few extras such as alloys etc) with 40K on the clock for £5000. It was advertised for £5500, but I knocked it down a touch.

The 1.4 16V is the best of the petrol engines I think, but it is worth checking the service history to see if it has had a cam belt change, as they are needed at 40K and cost a couple of hundred quid if it hasn't been done. I got lucky!