Grumpy MFD2 in mornings

Is anybody elses MFD2 playing up in navigation mode 1st thing in the morning now the weathers starting to turn? Mine now takes an age to start, doesn't want to display any roads and keeps resetting itself until about 3/4 hour into the journey. Laser on it's way out or something worse?

Disc is fine, few slight marks on it but nothing to worry about - spends all its time in the head unit, besides if it was the disc then you would have thought that it wouldn't be able to read the data on it full stop rather than it takes it unit it warms up before it does.

You'll be surprised, I have seen it where CD's dont read properly until the unit has warmed up. The heat seems to help the laser get a better focus, you could try copying the cd and trying the copy to see if its any better.

could be condensation...

Nope not unless its on the laser, I've taken the disc out and wiped it and it's made no difference, besides it's not like its snowing here yet!! It worked fine all last winter and that was quite damp and wet, it's just started doing it the last couple of weeks.

Could be on the laser.

I had a pioneer CD player that 'condensed' quite regularly on winter mornings.

Nope not unless its on the laser, I've taken the disc out and wiped it and it's made no difference, besides it's not like its snowing here yet!! It worked fine all last winter and that was quite damp and wet, it's just started doing it the last couple of weeks.

I would also say condensation on the laser focus lens that might be exacerbated by that horrid black film of traffic dirt that gets everywhere.

Either that or the laser/focusing mechanism is on the way out.

I would also say condensation on the laser focus lens that might be exacerbated by that horrid black film of traffic dirt that gets everywhere.

Either that or the laser/focusing mechanism is on the way out.

That was my thought. Today when the unit started reading the CD I removed it and the temp of the disc was best described as still ambient. Will remove the unit and wipe the laser lens with a alcoholic wipe and see if that helps, failing that it looks like its off to the repair shop. Plays music CD no problem tho when cold, even CDR's!? oh n no I'm a non smoker len - Staropramen is my only downfall, then again you know that by where my car is left most of the time!!