6 x 9s installation help

Hullo

Came to look at my 6x9s today and see about wiring them into my system and I came across a small stumbling block... Obvious to any electrician (geoff? :D) my 6 x 9s have two wires leaving them, live & what I assume to be neutral. The Fabia rear speakers though have two sets of wires going to them. There's two plaggy fittings with a 1 and a 2 on each of them and a wire going into each of them.

Common sense tells me that cables 1 and 2 are likely to be the same, but does anyone know if the cables going into the 1 slot are live or not? I haven't got a meter to be able to tell myself. I don't want to start chopping and joining the 1 and 2 cables into one connector until I can be certain. Also this 4 cable thing has nothing to do with the 4 ohm standard does it? and thereby joining the two up makes the new speakers 2 ohm? That could all be cr4p anyway.

So, if anyone could give any assistance in helping me wire these little beauties up, it would be ideal. :speaker: :D :speaker:

:thumbup:

Jason,

I think the second set of wires you mentioned is for the rear tweeters.. Disconnect one of the plugs until you know which set is for the tweeter.

One wire is + one is -..

If you still want to run the standard tweeters then simply hook up the wires to the 6x9s. Should work, but maybe better to leave the tweeters disconnected.

Then maybe you could look at upgraded tweeters & crossovers etc...

edited: sorry, didnt really help you tell which wire is which! :D

Hullo

Came to look at my 6x9s today and see about wiring them into my system and I came across a small stumbling block... Obvious to any electrician (geoff? :D) my 6 x 9s have two wires leaving them' date=' live & what I assume to be neutral. The Fabia rear speakers though have [b']two[/b] sets of wires going to them. There's two plaggy fittings with a 1 and a 2 on each of them and a wire going into each of them.

The oem speakers are components with the "woofer" in the back and tweeters in the doors.

The woofers have two sets of cables runnining to them.

One pair is the feed from the head unit.

The other is the feed out to the tweeter in the door.

Without a meter , it will be harder to tell which are the "in" and which are the "out".

An easy way to do this is to use a normal 1.5v AA battery and a couple of inches of speaker cable. Hold the wires onto the + and - of the battery at one end then scrape them across the pairs of terminals on the plastic conectors at the otehr end.

When you do this on the wires leading to the HU you will get nothing.

When you do this on the wires leading to the tweeter you will hear a crackling noise.

Silly question... If the tweeter in the door is fed from the rear speaker itself, how am I going to be able to keep the OEM tweeter going with the 6x9s. If I disconnect the rear speaker altogether it's gonna kill both the speaker and the tweeter. Hmmm, this is getting more and more confusing.

So, do I disregard the rear tweeters, or is there a way I can still wire them into the 6x9 system? I originally bought 12 single wire to wire connectors, i.e have 2 connected to the wires coming from the OEM speaker, 2 connectors from the 6x9 speaker and two connectors on the HU feed wire so I could switch speakers easily when I wanted to remove the parcel shelf for any reason...

It would seem then that using this theory I can run 6x9s with tweeters and the tweeters will only be live when I remove the parcel shelf and connect the HU feed ot the OEM speakers which will in turn feed the tweeters.... unless there's some way to wire in the tweeters BEFORE my little "junction" to switch between 6x9s/OEM...?

:rofl: My god this is looking funny.

The door tweeters just take a power feed from the rears, so if you connect them up to the 6x9s they will still work..

But it might not be the best solution - do the 6x9s have their own tweeter?

edited: are you planning on running the 6x9s and the standard speakers?

do the 6x9s have their own tweeter?

edited: are you planning on running the 6x9s and the standard speakers?

I'm not sure they do have their own tweeter - oh hang on -
Woofer - 160mm x 230mm DIA.Cone Type

Tweeter - 16mm Dia Dome Type

I reckon this means they have their own tweeter and I shouldn't worry. Here's a piccie of one without the grille on it.

6x9%20open.jpg

If this is the case I shan't worry about door tweeters and leave as is. I did wonder though what difference having tweeters as part of the speakers means, as opposed to keeping them a distance apart... Would that affect the stereo sound?

And NO, I don't plan to run both speakers. It would cause problems but I still wanted an easy "swapability" between the two setups and the tweeter issue causes concern still. :(

edit: Whats the harm in wiring in the wires for the tweeters into the 6x9s and then when I want to remove the parcel shelf I can run the OEM speakers without tweeters. Its not like I'll often need to not have the 6x9s in there...? Hmmm. 6x9s with inbuilt tweeters AND using the door ones... :D

so I don't need to worry about the tweeters in the door. I'm all for stereo sound which is why I assume Skoda keep the rear speakers and tweeters about a metre apart... I still fancy running the door tweeters with the 6x9s too though... :D

so I don't[/i'] need to worry about the tweeters in the door. I'm all for stereo sound which is why I assume Skoda keep the rear speakers and tweeters about a metre apart... I still fancy running the door tweeters with the 6x9s too though... :D

You'll probably find that with the OEM tweeters wired up that it sounds a bit too bright and harsh. If you do want to do this though , you can just feed them off the 6*9s as in the original wiring.

A few years ago i worked for one of Londons most respected car audio dealers.

Can I firstly put this question to you: If you were to go to a music concert where would the performers be???????

Infront of you on the stage I hear you say! Correct.

You wouldn't stand with your back to the performers would you. So why do so many people put speakers on their parcel shelves that are far louder than the ones in their front doors. Imagine that at a concert, oh yeah I can hear Tom Jones (lol) singing behind me!!!!

I have

Well - I know the concert ideal is to have the music in front, but in my car I fancied a bit of a rear/front balance, whereas all the bias at the moment is toward the front. Why would people put speakers of posh PC systems in all 4 corners of a room? If the rear speakers prove too powerful I'm pretty sure I can adjust the balance on the HU, but I really want to get the audio from all parts of the car for that "surround" effect (like in a nightclub in effect) In time I may upgrade the front components too, but the door trim removal scares me! :D

I think I may have got my head around the tweeter / OEM wiring setup so hope to get the 6x9s running for the trackday. ;)

Why would people put speakers of posh PC systems in all 4 corners of a room?

Jason,

These are surround sound systems which have some clever electronics to split the sound up to each speaker, to give you the effect of things moving around the room - eg a helicopter in an action film on a home cinema systems with Dolby 5.1 - the sound moves around the room.

I agree with Steveo - the sound stage should be in front of you (with the rear speakers filling the sound in) but as with wine - go with what you like and not with what others say you should. Give the door tweeters a try and if it spoils the sound, it's easy to disconnect them.

Well - at first if you don't succeed, go and see your mate who did a three year engineering degree followed by a masters in electronic engineering. ;)

With some snipping here, joining there I now have easily detachable 6 x 9 parcel shelf speakers blatting away, and thankfully, they're not dominating at all. The door tweeters are wired into the system so that me switching between 6x9 or OEM doesn't disengage the tweeters. So I still get good sound from the front, the tweeter to my rear right feeds nice stereo in that ear and the car generally feels a lot more like I'm driving in a "stereo system" - sound comes from everywhere, which I like! :speaker:

Big :thumbup: to mate for coming up with the wiring idea and implementing it!