considering bluefin - advice

As a modding n00b I need some advice please. Have used search and read up on loads but still wanna gather some more info all in one please to review ;-)

So with a bluefin increase to ~241bhp here are some questions...

- Anyone with a bluefin for the Octy vRS already I would love to hear your comments/review :-)

- With a decent set of front tyres (currently Potenza S-03s) will I be able to put the extra power down without any additional mods. How will it be from standing/rolling in wet/dry... currently have no probs in dry and need to ease off a wee bit in 2nd gear in wet on occasion ;-) (esp off)

- Are the stock turbo/engine related bits and pieces good enough to cope with the extra power? I plan on keeping this car for a few years and don't want to harm it's longevity or have silly repair bills in future.

- Similar question re the stock clutch... assuming a reasonably smooth driving style will it's lifespan be reduced dramatically with a remap claiming to increase torque from 273 to 317 or so.

- And finally... will 240bhp give plenty of whoooosh factor vs stock or is it a middle of the road remap to strike a balance as per my concerns above?

cheers for info...

I'd be very surprised if you could achieve 240hp from just a remap I would expect circa 225 - 230hp but you should get yourself upwards of 300lbft of torque. A panel filter would be a very worthwhile addition and help the car breathe a little easier.

I know the VW guys are pretty keen on the Bluefin unit but I don't know of any Skoda's running it.

Getting that sort of power down with a FWD car will always be challenging but it's all about the delivery.

The rest of the car should cope fine with that level of mods.

I belive that most on here are running REVO software who claim 255bhp from a stage I remap but no one has ever got any where near that but thats not to say it's a bad remap, power delivery is smooth and progressive just as it should be. I have no experience of the Bluefin option although as Stu says the VW guys seem to rate it but again dont expect to achieve such high expectations with power claims, the MOST you can expect for a Stage I generic map would be 235bhp but you are more likely to acieve around 230bhp which is still a great improvement over standard.

Why the mapping companies cant be more realistic with their claims is beyond me!.

Thanks for info guys. I was all set to order one tomorrow but I might give it more thought now as it seems a lot of money for a 25-30bhp gain and I don't want to get modding silly :eek:

Although they offer a 7 day money back policy if not happy so maybe worth a try anyway :confused:

Thanks for info guys. I was all set to order one tomorrow but I might give it more thought now as it seems a lot of money for a 25-30bhp gain and I don't want to get modding silly :eek:

Awful lot of guys on here with serious modding knowledge of Octy's. I should hang fire, let them have their 2p worth and then decide.

I thought Bluefin was a tuna :confused:

I suppose it is then ;)

Kidding, I have heard of them (for Fords).

I'm quite keen to see the results of a Bluefin Map so I certainly don't write it off as not being worth it. It's a common misconception that more bhp is what you want when in reality you should be looking at torque and drivability.

The standard car has 280NM of torque which equates to around 205lbft. The remap should give in excess of 300lbft, this will make it pull like a train and is the sort of torque normally only associated with diesel engines.

My one concern with the Bluefin which is as yet unanswered is the Flash Counter. Search Flash Counter and you'll see some of my previous posts.