Running applications/scripts on a server from a webpage

Dr Zoidberg

Right , my web skills are very much limited to static HTML and a bit of CSS , but I've got a project I'm working on that goes beyond that.

Basically I need to have a web front end that can be used to trigger .bat files or other applications to run on the server itself rather than running on the client which will be out on a customer site somewhere , and I have no idea how to do this.

Any pointers? It's a windoze 2003 server using IIS.

Probably easiest doing it in .NET if you're already running IIS...and you can pick your language of choice to do it in.

Not sure if opening up the permissions to get it to run batch scripts on the server would be possible/advisable though!

Rob.

As mentioned your best bet is some cgi scripts.

CGI Secrets for the Network Administrator

That looks like it will do the sort of things I need , but it requires it's own webserver. There's another application running on my machine that uses IIS , so I can't run that side by side without problems.

I'm on the right track now though

If you have SQL installed you could use stored procedures to call the files you need...

I have an application at work that calls simple stuff like ping, tracert, etc, on the server to check connectivity. Works like a charm...

If you have SQL installed you could use stored procedures to call the files you need...

I have an application at work that calls simple stuff like ping, tracert, etc, on the server to check connectivity. Works like a charm...

However that is a pretty heavy way of doing it IMHO compared to CGI.

However that is a pretty heavy way of doing it IMHO compared to CGI.

:eek::eek::eek: yeah thats like buying an Aston Martin to take your kids the 2 miles most parents drive to school.