Some Help Please....

Silber_Igel

Since ya'll have much greater insight into small oil burners that we do in the former Republic, I'd appreciate some help.

My neighbor has an '06 Jeep Liberty CRD with about 35K miles on it. Its got that four cylinder, Daimler/Chrysler/Mercedes Benz/Italian turbo diesel oil burner for power. Its a great car and he loves it but now has a serious problem.

About two months ago it lost power and died. The dealer replaced a 'turbo tube' and the EGR valve under warranty. Apparently that IS an known issue with these motors. The CRD ran fine for about a week when it suddenly accelerated without being told to do so. The problem happened again right after it was brought back to the dealer (they started it and it immediately went to red line!!!!) :eek: and despite being driven daily for a month it hasn't re-occurred. It set one code: "brake and accelerator on at the same time" the car and now nothing. {Had this problem on Ziggy a few years back ... a recall of the brake light switch... and VW store replaced it with a duff switch which almost caused me to rear end another car at 70mph when it didn't disconnect!!! :eek: } The Jeep store wrenches are clueless and the DC tech reps about the same.

I'm thinking the wrenches either didn't get something back together during the 'turbo/EGR fix' or they jacked around with something (knowingly or unknowingly)... or, there's some problem with the brake light switch/wiring. Anyway, something is telling the motor to turn up the rpm and for a diesel, that means injecting more fuel... lots more in this case.

Now he's afraid to sell it and afraid to drive it. He has filed a notice with the US NTSB... the first involving a CRD. There's absolutely nothing on the web about this problem....

Anyone else have a similar problem with a CRD or any other diesel engine? If so, what was the cause?

Thanks in advance!

Sarah,

Yes it does! Its the 2.8L turbocharged four made by VM Motori (sp). I understand its been around in Europe/England for quite awhile and is a good motor.

I think one of the problems here is that unless its a Cummins and in a 'dooley truck' .... our guys don't have the training or interest in them.

Jim

problems with the engine revving on its own usually relate to the engine actually running on something other than diesel fuel , in the case of a turbo failure , the intercooler can get filled with the engine oil if the turbo seals/shaft has gone .

if the intercooler isn't cleaned thoroughly out this oil , what can happen is , the oil can be sucked/blown into the engine , the engine will run quite happily on this unmetered oil , hence will rev itself up , usually then blow up , seen it a few times at work , even had it happen to a car i was working on , very scary

so i would get the garage to check for oil in the intercooler/pipework for starters

Ric,

Thanks so much! Your idea makes a ton of sense. Since the dealer's wrenches haven't sorted it out this is certainally an idea that needs investigating.

Or, maybe they soaked the induction system with a gallon of fluid and its collected in the system???

I'll relay the information to my friend.

We was wondering if there could be a fault with the cruise control , where it is taking over the control of the engine as when it is switched on it will take over the throttle

But having said that , the above is quite true too

So a few things to check out

Let us know how he gets on

Sarah

Ric,

Related questions ... if you please.

About how much oil would we find in the intercooler/induction system if the turbo seals were failing?

Could the use of a boat load of solvents and cleaners in the induction system cause a similar problem?

TIA!

Ric,

Related questions ... if you please.

About how much oil would we find in the intercooler/induction system if the turbo seals were failing?

Could the use of a boat load of solvents and cleaners in the induction system cause a similar problem?

TIA!

the simple answer to that would be yes , anything that can be ignited in the diesel engine and is unregulated/unmetered by the pump would cause the engine to rev up uncontrollably , the last turbo i changed on a Ford Focus diesel had approx 0.5-0.75 litres of oil in the intercooler , this was cleaned out , but another car which had the same problem , but without having the intercooler cleaned out , promptly revved its nuts off , result , new engine required

• 1 month later...

Sarah & Ric,

Sorry for the long delay but there was nothing to report on this issue for quite some time.

My neighbor's diesel Liberty was returned to him a few days ago after being held by the dealer since late November. The dealer could not find a problem but they continued to try to duplicate the problem. No joy with that! The D-C (or what ever D-C is called today!) 'boffins' got involved and did some research and testing at their 'secret' labs. They eventually came up with the theory that the two throttle position sensors were faulty. They have been replaced and the vehicle, so far, has run fine.

This repair probably makes some sense as a faulty TPS could cause a run-a-way.

We'll wait and see.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Regards!

Hi

Finders crossed all goes well now

Yes you could be right as to them switched , logically speaking

At least he has his car back and hopefully fixed

Sarah

He's got more patience than a Saint!!! I'd have had it back in a week and continued to drive it till it failed or not. I'll give the D-C guys a thumbs up for staying on the case. I'm surprised they just didn't toss in the towel and blame it on being a 'Kraut' motor. "Ya-hall, should-ah got-ah Dodge Ram truck with a Cummins!!!! Like all us Texans do!"

Cheers!!!