XBox360 Connection to the Web

stevenh

As posted elsewhere, I got an XBox360 from Santa.

I connected up the LAN cable to my router and it connected to XBox Live without any problems.

I have played around with the LAN settings on my router, restricting the available IP addresses to 2 (desktop and laptop via wireless) stops the xbob from connecting, but changing it to 3 available thru DHCP allows the xbox to connect.

The bit that is confusing me is I have MAC address filtering on, but have not specified the XBox as a permitted address - yet it still gets the IP assigned and connects ok.

How is this possible? Can anyone shed any light on this?

I like to think I have a decent understanind of all things IT as I am a performance tester testing client-server, web and legacy systems so need to have a hand in many areas, but this aspect of networking has me perplexed!

Thanks in advance,

Steven

P.S. The main reason for this, is since 9.18 this morning I have been receiving hundreds of returned SPAM emails! So first thoughts were either someone has compromised my system, or gained my address.

Ran a full system scan using AVG on both machines - nothing found. Spybot finds nothing either. Switching off router for periods does not create a gap in the emails so I think it must be someone using my domain. Went thru my control panel on my ISP and my windowed domain host to turn off catch all and the returns have stopped but it got me thinking!

The spam emails, are most likely caused by someone else who has a virus on their computer. Most email viruses these days get a random address from the address book or emails and then use that as the from address. Emails can have any from address, even someone elses. Then the virus typically emails hundreds of people using your email address as the from person. When it gets bounced by the other end, the bounce goes back to the random person and not the real sender.

Your computer is 99% most likely not the issue, neither will it be your network. If your wireless is setup using proper security (at least WPA) you will have no problems. Mine at home uses WPA2, has NO mac filtering enabled at all and I dont have any problems.

Another reply.

Please tell me you have security enabled on your wireless connection, and are not relying on mac filtering. Anyone with a packet sniffer (easily available for free using a quick google search) can listen to your network without being connected and get a valid mac addres that is currently connected. Once they have this they can spoof your mac address and connect to your network. Without security, personal details such as passwords to online sights are also plain to see.

sorry to steal your thread but when i access my control panel on my router i find lots of ramdom people that seem to have been using my router or network?

i can see my laptop, a friends, my SWMBO's, my n95, the psp, my pc but there are others listed too?

ive got firewall on the router, and on the 2 pc's. ive got mac filtering on and WPA security, so any ideas why ive got peoples ip adresses and things like "elizebeths.home" listed on there?

some routers list things that attempt to connect as well as those that get a connection.

wow thats weird, i bearly get signal outside of my driveway, one nieghbour is like 90 years old and doesnt own a pc, the other side are pc'less to as i collect their emails for them. means at least 5 people have tried to connect from outside the house? scary!! lol

thanks!

You will be surprised of the range of some routers. Upstairs at home, I can just about get a signal, But... if I go outside with my laptop and walk down the street, I can get all the way to the main road before I lose the connection(150 yards or so). It may not be your next door neighbours either, I can pick up six wireless networks on my laptop sitting in the front room.

sorry to steal your thread but when i access my control panel on my router i find lots of ramdom people that seem to have been using my router or network?

i can see my laptop, a friends, my SWMBO's, my n95, the psp, my pc but there are others listed too?

ive got firewall on the router, and on the 2 pc's. ive got mac filtering on and WPA security, so any ideas why ive got peoples ip adresses and things like "elizebeths.home" listed on there?

I would suggest turning off your routers' "broadcast network name" beacon, as well as hiding the SSID, and using WPA.