Pressed Metal number plates

bassy-alex

Strictly speaking they are not legal - assuming you are talking something like the Dubmeister ones.

You have a lot less chance of getting pulled if they are the correct UK font, correctly spaced, and with either a GB or Euro identifier flag (or none at all).

Reflectivity is another potential issue, although Dubmeister ones don't seem bad.

They should also display the postcode of the manufacturer IIRC, which the Dubmeister ones don't.

MOT stations were getting hot on checking them at one point, although I seem to remember someone posting up saying they had been told to ease off due to the confusion it was causing.

Having said all that I've had mine on for about 15k miles and had no problems, either from plod or when it went in for its MOT.

I have plate surrounds, and keep my old standard plates in the boot so that if I ever get pulled I can offer to refit them. No guarantee that will prevent a penalty (£30 i think) but worth a try!

The number plates are illegal. Bit boring but the regs say it has to be the new plastic ones with BSAU 145d stamped on them with the manufacturer of the plates name and post code or tel number. The font has to be charles wight or very similar. This was brought in a few years ago so that they can be read by computer.