Cooling fan prob

octavia98

I need to replace a 2 pin 12v 60mm x 10mm fan but can only find 3 pin ones. (3rd for the speed sensor.)

Can I replace my old 2 pin with a 3 pin fan & just not wire up the 3rd wire? I assume the power wires will be black/blue and red & the speed one will be something else... Any ideas? Ta.:confused:

Yeah, the only problem is if the MoBo wants a speed input to monitor (usually CPU and chipset) as it'll trigger an alarm. Usually this can be turned off in the BIOS though, when I replaced my chipset fan for a heatsink I had to turn the alarm off.

Speed one is yellow, the power will be black/red

I need to replace a 2 pin 12v 60mm x 10mm fan but can only find 3 pin ones. (3rd for the speed sensor.)

Can I replace my old 2 pin with a 3 pin fan & just not wire up the 3rd wire? I assume the power wires will be black/blue and red & the speed one will be something else... Any ideas? Ta.:confused:

Since you are replacing a 2 pin no problem, but you can still buy 2 pin fans online and in maplin.

Red and Black are power & ground. - You can run the red from 12v or some fans will run on a 5v line, but most need 7.5V to start up.

Yellow/Blue is usually rpm pulse.

I think I'm going to have to get a 3 pin and chop the wiring as I can't find a 60x60x10mm 2 pin anywhere! Maplins seem to just do 60x60x25 which I don't have room for... I'm attempting to fix a sff desktop so space is of a premium...:rolleyes:

Well, replaced the fan but still no good so am giving up. :( If anyone is interested in a Dell Optiplex GX280 with a duff PSU and slightly battered case, then have a look at Ebay item 250204566609.

Thanks for the advise all!

Sorry what are the symptoms?

If is just a dead dell fan?

Symptoms are/were:

It was making 'a funny noise' for a while, then refused to power up beyond the on/off button flashing orange. A bit of research lead me to believe the most likely prob was the PSU. The fan in the PSU seemed seized, so I ordered a new one (Complete PSU). The twerp who sold me it sent it set to 115v so of course it blew! No refund as I should have checked & probably set it that way myself, apparently...

Anyway, I decided to replace the fan in the failed PSU but that hasn't improved matters. Being reluctant to throw more money at it, I've decide to get rid & get something else at some point. Luckily we can use swmbo's laptop so the family is not totally stuck without a PC. Would just be nice to have a desktop/file & print server running 24x7 again, at some point.