Fabia 1.4 16v bouncing revs and rattling interior

TimAce

Hello,

Not overly happy with my car at moment :(. I have intermittent bouncing tick over every now and again, I've tried a serach on here about it. Many have said it might be the Throttle body allignment or the coolant temp sensor. Has anyone found a cure for this, which one cures it. I don't have VAG com to adjust the TB.

Also as have a rattling noise coming from the drivers side of the dash and its not ignorable. I can confirm its not the instrument pod, the door card, fuse box cover. Rollbar and drop links are fine. I've run out of ideas for this one. Whatever it is rattles when the car is running over uneven ground and at most speeds, although don't hear it on the motorway.

Any help would be appreciated:)

Tim

rattle could be 2 small screws behind the steering wheel that hold the upper steering column cover in place - they are philips and just about accessible if you turn the wheel 'up and down' one way then t'other. mine drove me mad until I sussed it. my tickover bounces once in a while, I live with it.

Rattle from front, as you've considered the ARB or droplinks - and dismissed them, have you considered the TCA rear voided bushes - check underneath the car to see if they are torn.

Bouncing tick-over have you tried using the search function - which year and engine type do you have - check data sticker for three letter code.

I've also had problems you report with a wandering tick over on my 1.4 16v. I recently had a full service and cambelt at the the main dealer and in general terms the engine is running an awful lot better, but I still find the revs wander a bit at tickover, especially when the engine is fully warmed up and if you switch things on and off in the electrical circuit. I've already tried some redex in with the fuel which didn't really make any difference although I've not tried the throttle body clean/alignment yet. The problems don't seem regular enough for the extra expense of that yet, but it is good preventative maintenance to get the throttle body cleaned anyway I suppose. I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with things. I have reported the wandering tickover to the main dealer and as no computer faults were recorded, they weren't too interested in investigating further.

Wow, thankyou for all your speedy replies. Engine is a 2001, AUB, the throttle body was cleaned back in July so I'm assuming thats not the problem. Although TB allignment maybe worth looking at, but don't have vag-com?! Cam-belt was changed in July also at 54,000 miles from comments on here regarding this engine it couldn't have come sooner. The bouncing tick over happens every now and then but as you mentioned tag1 uk it seems to be when warmed up.

I am aware that one of my rear bushes is beginning to ware, which is no surprise on a 7 year old car. I don't think its that. The sound really does seem to be coming from the front end of the car, on the drivers side, quite high up in the corner of the car, behind the dash somewhere. Maybe just below the front window pillar area. I can't ignore this one its so irritating...

I will definately have a look at the steering column cover, I do hear the noise when cornering also. There is actually a part on this car that you can use a philips screw driver on, wow. Fingers crossed it is this. I'm also going to have a look at the bonnet in that area, as that could be the culprit. Any more suggestions much appreciated...:)

I had a 1.4 16v AUB engine for about seven years until someone decided to park a BMW on top of it. The bouncing revs at tic over happened every so often - throttle body clean-up seemed to help, but it always eventually returned. It was pretty infrequent.

<- 1.4 16v 2001

MY coolent sensor was changed due to VERY poor starting. For a while it also cured my bubbley tick over but it has since returned.

had the car serviced and the throttle body was actually removed and soaked clean! (thanks Ken).... this fixed it for the longest but now it is returning.

like everyone else it's so in frequent It's not a problem and it doesn't seem to effect performance once you actually press the go pedal.. I always assumed it was the Engine management flicking between the lowest choke setting and off...

It's such a common complaint I think it's perfectly normal.

Thankyou for all your help. I have had some success, locating the rattle, it is the bonnet on the drivers side. It is currently packed with half a packet of blu tack. But will look for a better cure at the weekend. I am pleased to have found it, its so annoying.

I think I will take peoples advice on the bouncing tick-over, get a TB allignment done and if thats not the cure, just accept it. Especially as from what everyone has said on here, its so common on the 16v and it doesn't happen very often.

:)

<- 1.4 16v 2001

It's such a common complaint I think it's perfectly normal.

That'll be one of the Skoda design traits/features (read flaws) then, like the boneshakingly rattly tickover and flat spots on the diesel engines and the indoor swimming pool.