Yes its out of warrenty...so now its all going wrong!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to update - I have just had the estimate for a Manufacturer fully re manufactured engine supplied and fitted for the 2.5 V6 = £2995 inc VAT?

The link to Dealer is below if anyone interested. Anyway it's a long way from £7k???

Reconditioned Engines

Hmmmm :rolleyes:

I remember these from the AT, E&M days, even made it on to watchdog at one time iirc.

Their recon engine is 6 knackered ones all with the still working parts taken out and slung back together, be careful, 7k for a new engine is a lot, 3k for something no better than what you have is worse.

Thanks guys - I was not aware. this is where this forum comes into it's own.

regards

john

Now perhaps you'll take note about what I said about aftermarket warranties as will bud, I was in the trade for quite a few years, if anything the ethics of the trade are worse now than back then, something else I'll let you in on, one of the warranty companies is owned by ex England footy players Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst.

Ok, profit vs quality, in the same way that the engine firm will take your money and hope their engine lasts, the warranty company will have some small letters at the bottom of the contract that will be a get out clause.

By all means go get one if you feel you must, I'm just advising you against it.

I don't agree. I will be getting one with warranty direct. You pay insurance for the peace of mind and I have spoken to numerous people over the past week who have had first hand knowledge of claims with warranty direct - guess what no problems. have you had a warranty with warranty direct - declined - which makes you so negative on this subject. as I previously stated I had the misfortune to hve to pay out £4000+ on a scorpio 2.9V6 in two yrs. I do not want that problem again. For £29 per month I know my outlay and if I never claim it has still been worth while for the peace of mind. If WD try to waiver on a legitimate claim (IF?) then I will deal with that also.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice as they say.

Regards

John

I don't agree. I will be getting one with warranty direct. You pay insurance for the peace of mind and I have spoken to numerous people over the past week who have had first hand knowledge of claims with warranty direct - guess what no problems. have you had a warranty with warranty direct - declined - which makes you so negative on this subject. as I previously stated I had the misfortune to hve to pay out £4000+ on a scorpio 2.9V6 in two yrs. I do not want that problem again. For £29 per month I know my outlay and if I never claim it has still been worth while for the peace of mind. If WD try to waiver on a legitimate claim (IF?) then I will deal with that also.

You pays yer money and takes yer choice as they say.

Regards

John

No, I've not been refused, I just know how these things work, the small print etc, I see your point with the Scorpio and that was a dog, one of my mates had one, lovely car but so flawed in the drive units and very expensive to fix.

Well i went out and bought another car this morning, a Smart Roadster Brabus.

I aim doing the Mercedes service plus on it (£80 a month and all i do is put fuel in it and tyres on it and they sort out the rest!) and so i got to deal with a merc dealer (skoda have a LOT to learn!)....

The Skoda dealer rang me this afternoon to say that skoda factory are funding 50% of a new engine and skoda uk are picking up the other 50% on a goodwill basis in the superb. I will have to pay fitting and fluids and they recommend a new cam belt (now wouldn't you think that a new crated engine would come with cam belt and injectors...). Aparantly because im paying the fitting i will get a 2 year warranty on the engine!

I am awaiting FIXED quote on the fitting!

Anyway Roadster tomorrow (hopefully) skoda sometime....they cant tell me how long an engine will take to arrive....or whats on it or not...still progress!

They were built on the smart production line, then shipped to brabus who rebuilt them...

Net result is about hp up from 80 to 101 and better torque (new pistons,crank,cams,valves,charegecooler rather than inter cooler, tik pipe, filter,exhaust), the suspension is lowered and stiffened with a semi adjustable front end, body kit includes splitter and skirts to improve the aero package (even the standard roadster has aero under he car), bigger/wider wheels (17" running 205/40r17 and 225/35r17 front/rear), leather interior with heated seats and a lot of the optinal smart packages as standard - upgraded audio, flappy paddle gear shift, fogs, side airbags etc..

and it still only weighs 850 kg or there abouts INCLUDING the driver.

The figures arnt mega (9.1/120) BUT its the handling its amazing!

So yes its proper brabus BUT its not a case of ubber tank with gaziilon hp more a case of proper sportscar in the old mg/lotus tradition

• 3 weeks later...

Well almost the end of a long saga...

I picked the car up today from the dealers with the new engine fitted...2 year unlimited mileage warranty on the engine and its cost me about £1150 all in....

Now personally I don't think i should have had to pay anything and if i hadn't been a really obnoxious PITA i am SURE I would have paid out well in excess of £7k.

Having driven the car home tonight the clutch problem its had from day 1 (and complained about to the dealer to be told 'its fine they are like that sir') has gone, the car is quieter than its ever been and much more refined...i wonder if that's how come i bought it (approved used from a skoda dealer) 14 months old 7500 miles....only owned by skoda uk....maybe its was a problem child engine from day 1!

Anyway once its valeted it will be up for sale 34k fssh, new engine...now having experienced Merc dealerships its just really reminded me of what service I need and want....

So guys there you go...i really really like the car..but i just cant live with the engineering coupled with the dealers.

I'm glad to hear that you have brought this saga to a conclusion finally. I suppose £1100 is better than £7k - but you are right you should not have had to pay anything really. With regard to mercedes service - i have anumber of friends who have Mercs and i have heard some real horror stories off them. My experience has been that all dealers give excellent service whilst they are mselling you something and trying to get you to part with your hard earned cash - its the AFTER sales service that usually lets them down. However if you are paying them £80pm every month then there may well be an incentive for them to keep you sweet. I certainly hope so. Please keep us posted on the service you continue to receive from them. last thing - I hope the ex Skoda car (as mine was at 12 months old and 12,000 miles on the clock) is not a bad omen as my 2.5 comes out of warranty in Nov this year. I am however taking out an extended warranty with Skoda which is a replacement for the normal 3 yr warranty inc RAC cover for £411 per year all in so I hope this cushions me from the issues you have experienced. Once again I am really pleased you have had some sort of result.

Anyway once its valeted it will be up for sale 34k fssh, new engine...now having experienced Merc dealerships its just really reminded me of what service I need and want....

So guys there you go...i really really like the car..but i just cant live with the engineering coupled with the dealers.

Gald to hear that it's sorted..........be sure to post up your motor in the for sale section as you never know........

You must have some cash to afford a Mercedes as while the Dealers may be better the servicing costs are very high............:eek:

I have to agree with Baker they really are expensive for servicing. But does your £80 pay for this anyway?

I guess this is the difference in having a 3 pointed star on your bonnet though.....

Paying £80 a month to service a small car is ridiculous. I probably spend about that each year on servicing my Superb - but then I do it myself. I can also choose where I buy the bits.

rotodiesel.

Same process here for me...........:thumbup:

£80 includes servicing, mot, all repairs (parts and labour), leaks, aircon regas, clutch, brakes, recovery ..pretty much the only exclusions are tyres, rims and day to day oil/screen washer top ups!

if you work out that a superb over the next two years would cost me:-

Service *2 @ £250 = £500

Cambelt £500

Brakes £150

AA cover * 2 @ £150 = £300

Clutch £400

Warrenty 2 @ £360 = £720

£80 a month looks like a bargain

FYI merc dealer rates are almost exactly the same as skoda dealer rates PLUS my merc dealer gives you 15% off if your car is over 3 years old to reward loyalty (now there's a concept strange to skoda dealers!)

Driving the superb home i was struck again by how good it IS buti simply cant do with the dealers, no courtesy cars, having to fight for what's right, technical ineptitude and the general 'now we have sold it to you we don't care' attitude....god alone knows how bad parts will be to get once its out of production!

Some body and trim parts will be difficult for the Superb - so don't bend it. Mechanical parts are a breeze - Europe is full of B5.5 Passats.

The availability of cheap pattern parts and software was a major factor in choosing the Superb as a tow car - so far, so good. The service parts from GSF and similar suppliers are certainly cheap.

Your cost breakdowns for the servicing of each type of car would indicate to me that there must be a better way of doing this - and there is.

rotodiesel.

Driving the superb home i was struck again by how good it IS buti simply cant do with the dealers, no courtesy cars, having to fight for what's right, technical ineptitude and the general 'now we have sold it to you we don't care' attitude....god alone knows how bad parts will be to get once its out of production!

That is 90% of why I don't think I will be getting another one, probably the wise bet to have now is if you want a big car that's reasonable to buy you should look at a Hyundai Sonata with the 5 yr warranty backup, assuming their customer care is better.