Jerky gear change from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd

mluton

Wondered if you could help me. I have an issue when changing gears from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Its very jerky as I engage the clutch.

I can control the jerk better using more revs on the gear change, but is becoming a little uncomfortable driving to work as its all stop start driving.

3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th is spot on.

I'm going to book her into the stealers today for sometime next week, see if they can find anything the matter.

With a bit of briskoda reading, Im thinking it could be one of the below:

Master clutch cylinder

Slave clutch cylinder

Gearbox oil needs changing

New clutch and flywheel (gulp!)

Gear linkages

Dogbone mount

Air in the clutch lines (Cheers, martziniuk)

Engine mounts (Cheers paul1978)

Gearbox mounts (Cheers paul1978)

Anyone else have any thoughts, so I can hit the stealers with what I think it could be.

Its an mk1 Octavia vRS:D

Cheers, Matt.:thumbup:

EDIT: Booked in for Friday 29th February.:thumbup:

ML, don't think it's likely to be oil then. Sticking with check the linkage, then maybe the dogbone.

I'd not think it's the clutch actuation though.

Fatty, the gear linkage runs from the bottom of the gear lever to the box. I think how to check it has been covered before; if it hasn't the best I could do is quote Haynes at you, and can't even do that today.

ML, don't think it's likely to be oil then. Sticking with check the linkage, then maybe the dogbone.

I'd not think it's the clutch actuation though.

Fatty, the gear linkage runs from the bottom of the gear lever to the box. I think how to check it has been covered before; if it hasn't the best I could do is quote Haynes at you, and can't even do that today.

Cheers buddy I'll dig out the haynes when i get home :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Went out with the mechanic guys from Skoda who also drove a Octy vRS, he said he couldnt feel anything different to his, apart from a little extra power, He, He.

Had a brake fluid change and it does feel better, but maybe it was cycological, all in my head.:D