Strange noise, help please

jasc1988

Right since i have got the car theres a very strange noise that i think is getting worse, really hard to pin point where its coming from but it seems to be coming from the Rear at the drivers side. Its a clunking noise, that usually happens when i change gear from first to second or when the car sortov rocks under deceleration / acceleration ??

It's definately not the CV joint and im at a loss to what this could be?

Any ideas??

Thanks

Well it did have the driveshafts out (think) to fit my Helix clutch, could be a mount away, just seems to clunk when changing speed / direction, steering seems pretty good though so wouldnt be a track rod end??

I'm at a bit of a loss to be honest

Its a really strange noise, definately drivers side but sounds like it comes from the rear, really hard to pin point, had been getting gradually worse over the past couple of months

Best would be to get someone else in the car, in the back, and see if they can provide any more info on the location...

Not heard of any complaints similar to what you're describing, but does sound like a mount or bush from what you're saying.

Steve

Best would be to get someone else in the car, in the back, and see if they can provide any more info on the location...

Not heard of any complaints similar to what you're describing, but does sound like a mount or bush from what you're saying.

Steve

Ive had the gf on the listen out :thumbdwn:

She was useless though, bummer sounds like more money out of my pocket then, it's a strange one.. :confused:

Could it be one of the o/s door locks moving slightly on its pin? I had this issue with the drivers door on mine, on hard accelerating or braking I would get a slight knock (usually just one) as the door moved slightly in the shell. It was a good while back now and I think it was Lumox (Skoda master tech here - where's he gone?) who pointed me in the right direction. Apparently it was not an unknown problem. I just adjusted the striker pin very slightly, greased it all up and never got the noise again.

HTH

Could it be one of the o/s door locks moving slightly on its pin? I had this issue with the drivers door on mine, on hard accelerating or braking I would get a slight knock (usually just one) as the door moved slightly in the shell. It was a good while back now and I think it was Lumox (Skoda master tech here - where's he gone?) who pointed me in the right direction. Apparently it was not an unknown problem. I just adjusted the striker pin very slightly, greased it all up and never got the noise again.

HTH

that isnt a bad idea that, yes it it just one knock im experiencing too, only under harsh (low speed) acceleration and braking, usually when taking off from junctions or turning into side roads,

So whats involved in adjusting the striker pin??

Also thinking my cars back door at drivers side had a dent in it before i bought it and this was removed by a dent doctor so maybe the did something to the mechanism

that isnt a bad idea that, yes it it just one knock im experiencing too, only under harsh (low speed) acceleration and braking, usually when taking off from junctions or turning into side roads,

So whats involved in adjusting the striker pin??

Also thinking my cars back door at drivers side had a dent in it before i bought it and this was removed by a dent doctor so maybe the did something to the mechanism

Yeah, your symtoms sound exactly the same as what I had.

The striker is held by two torx bolts, they are very tight! You'll need an appropriate bit on a 1/2" socket drive or somthing similar to shift them. Best to mark the existing position first with a pencil or felt pen before moving anything. I'd try slakening the bols slightly then give the striker a tap - try upwards 0.5mm-ish and try it at that. You may need to experiment. Obviously you don't want to move anything enough to affect door closure or the way the door visually sits in the shell.

Had similar issues.....a noise that was hard to locate, happened only when dipping the clutch to change from 1st to 2nd whilst accelerating. Turned out to the N/S gearbox mount needing greasing as per the Skoda UK fix. Was all quiet after that. :)