Octy VRS Air leak, running lean error codes

snagsy

Hello again all,

I'm starting a new thread as its a different problem to what I had before.

Turbo seems very "intermittant" when accelerating for last few days, turbo sometimes gives power, sometimes doesn't, then EML came on today.

Took it to garage, vag-com-type-thingy says 2 error codes, one saying fuel running rich and one saying air leak around turbo area. The sodding mechanic erased them before I could write them down, but all I remember was "177xx" & "175xx", the x's being the no's I cannot recall.

He didn't look like he had a clue what it could be, which isn't reassuring, but its booked in for Wednesday.

I'm pretty sure theres an air leak somewhere, causing the fuel to run lean. But I have no idea where it could be. I'd like to be able to say to the mechanic that "It should be this" when I drop it off so it won't cost me a fortune in labour charges.

Have you guys any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Snagsy

Hey Snagsy,

I was just about to start a similar thread coz my 1.8T elegance has been poor on economy lately which i put down to the cold weather

But over the past week it has been down on power without the usual urgency when the turbo kicks in. I took it to my mates garage and he plugged in his SOLUS which i presume is similar to Vagcom.

The code that came up on mine was 17705 which was 'turbo throttle valve connection pressure loss' intermittent fault. No other codes were present and EML hasn't come on.

I don't know if this was your code but it sounds similar. I have just spent two hours at my mates garage checking every hose for splits, cracks, lose connections etc but can't find anything. The reason I have done this is according to code (in the manuals) probable cause is split pipe/hose.

Should I be looking for something else and if so any ideas. If it is the same problem as yours Snagsy then it may save you some money on labour charges.

Thanks for any help

Richy

17705 is very common and there is no single cause of it, do a search on here and you will know alot more.

17536/P1128/004392 - Ross-Tech Wiki

17544/P1136/004406 - Ross-Tech Wiki

The other one could be one of the above.

The 17536 for going lean when driving, the 17544 when it is lean at idle.

For the 17544 check the hoses around the dipstick as one in particular is quite notorious for splitting, again well documnted on this site.

After reading previous threads I think I'll try cleaning the throttle body as in many cases it helped. I just hope it fixes it as mine hasn't been remapped like many others with the problem. Also roll on the warmer weather as again many say it only happens in cold weather.

• 3 years later...

need help got code 17536 coming on when reset boost ok changed lambda, full engine flush and oil change maf ok,plugs cleaned goes two days then management light back on again checked hoses no splits clean throttle body and air intake im baffed now