HELP! Vrs wont start!

hi guys, went to start car this morning and it wouldnt turn over, all electrics are working fine so its not the battery thats flat, it doesnt even try turn over, just the usual 3-4second whirr in the background of the throttlebody alligning or whatever it is then nothing. not even a click. after about the 5th time i got a cough as i released the key but thats the best i got, in the end abandoned all hope and got in our lass's car.

anyone had this? first thoughts are its an electrical connection problem between ignition and starter???

crazy thing is sometimes it does this when its cold but it usually starts 3-4th time, and it NEVER does this when its warmer (5degrees+)...wierd or what!

ok, the general consensus here is that its the relay between the ignition and starter, anyone know where this is.

Starter Motor or Ignition switch are probable causes. Recently had the same problem on an Octy 1 Diesel, intermittent starting, was a case in the end of turn the key & wait, worse on cold mornings. managed to start it & get it to the dealers & it was the Ignition switch, Around £90 fitted so not as scary as you might think

cheers,

will a faulty relay stop it turning over? one of lads here seems to think the relay would cut fuel and not the supply to the starter?

ie relay supplies power to electronics and electronics turn the starter motor on so if the electronics are working (like they are) then the starter should be turning over but not recieveing a fuel supply because the relay is knackered (ie its not the relay cos thats not what its doing)

It takes a lot more power to start the engine than to work windows etc. Its worth a check before you part with your cash.

If the battery is iffy as you turn the key & try for the starter other items will be effected, lights will dim etc. If its Ignition switch/Starter you will not see any change

This is the approach I usually take (checking if the lights dim when trying to start).

However on my old Astra GTE this highlighted a seized starter - twas getting the juice from the battery, but wasn't engaging (obviously trying as the lights were dimming) there were no noises from the starter or solenoid ended up just replacing the starter, and was all good!