Limited or no connectivity

chaos306

I've tried the ipconfig/renew etc, it made no difference.

As Captain Sisko says, I dont think its the router, as its brand new, and the laptop connects perfectly.

Yes the SSID is broadcasting fine. Will try changing the security to WPA, although im not sure if its going to be that, as i've tried without security on and that made no difference.

The adapter on the pc says it accepts WPA-2 fine, and I can get it to connect by manually inputting the info, but then IE/Firefox wont connect to the internet...

ok a couple of thoughts

when the zyxel dongle is plugged in and you have limited connectivity,reboot then note down what is the desktops ip address via

start>run>cmd>ipconfig /all

if the desktop pc has not been dished out an ip address from the belkin router it may assign itself something like 169.x.x.x. this will give the limited connectivity without being able to access the net.

this can happen if the dongle isn't getting a strong enough signal from the router - have you tried moving the router or desktop pc closer together??

also note down the mac address of the zyxel dongle (its probably on it somewhere) and assign it a static ip within the range your router uses address via the belkin router web interface.

lastly if nothing else helps try

- downloading the latest zyxel dongle drivers and reinstall them

- try plugging it into a different usb port on the desktop pc

- consider a set of homeplugs instead!!!!

ok a couple of thoughts

when the zyxel dongle is plugged in and you have limited connectivity,reboot then note down what is the desktops ip address via

start>run>cmd>ipconfig /all

if the desktop pc has not been dished out an ip address from the belkin router it may assign itself something like 169.x.x.x. this will give the limited connectivity without being able to access the net.

this can happen if the dongle isn't getting a strong enough signal from the router - have you tried moving the router or desktop pc closer together??

also note down the mac address of the zyxel dongle (its probably on it somewhere) and assign it a static ip within the range your router uses address via the belkin router web interface.

lastly if nothing else helps try

- downloading the latest zyxel dongle drivers and reinstall them

- try plugging it into a different usb port on the desktop pc

- consider a set of homeplugs instead!!!!

I have this router, and I also had this problem.....

I believe the router assigns an IP address to the wireless pc that is trying to connect, and this can cause the problem..... I phoned my ISP (zen, internet, a few blokes in England with knowledge, not a big corporation with indian call centers!) and they talked me through how to assign a permenent IP address between my wireless PC and my router, and I haven't had a problem with it since.....

unfortunalty, i can't remember off-hand how to do it, though if I were sat infront of your computers I would be able to muddle through the setup.......

try it... set it up to assign a "set" ip address between your wireless PC and the router (you'll need the admin access to the routers controld, on the pc you have connected directly to it, and the software on the wireless dongle to set this up) but try to work through the options, and this should sort the problem.... :thumbup: