Octavia 1 coughs instead of starting

PBOCT

Only happens every 3 weeks or so but after a night in the garage (that's the car, not me) when I try to start it the starter engages OK and the engines coughs once then there's the whine of the starter disengaging (I assume) but that's it. Does the same a number of times. My wife claims that if you bounce up and down in the car (on your own!) a few times it loosens up and starts as normal. Skoda garage couldn't find anything wrong. Any ideas?

Hi,

Instead of bouncing try either putting the car in second and rocking it or hitting the starter motor a couple of times with a hammer or mallet (not too hard).

If this works you've probably got a dead spot on the starter motor. I've seen it before on older cars and in some cases was cured by replacing by worn bushes. In some cases you can't replace them so it's a case of new starter.

GSF are good on price for starter motors if you do need one.

HTH