(relatively) high mileage TFSI

Anyone considering a Vrs TFSI with above average mileage, fear not and buy with confidence.

After a lot of too-ing, fro-ing and indecision I finaly picked up and Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI yesterday. I know it's not a skoda but please don't flame me ;)

It's a July 05 car with 48,000 miles on the clock and if anything it feels better than my low mileage Octy Vrs (gone but not forgotten). I've only had an afternoon to live with the car so far and although I felt it wasn't as quick as my Octy on the test drive, I'm sure now that this is just down to the additional soundproofing.

If anything the miles have made the engine smoother still, silky even. I read something once about the old MK2 golf GTI 16v engines getting better and better with miles and wonder if this was just pub talk or genuinely the case.

Anyhow the engine feels very very strong, ... so thank you to who ever it was that suggested miles need not be a concern on an earlier thread :thumbup:

48k high mileage? Sheesh...

I reckon between 30k and well over 100k, the engine is at its best. People who get rid at 30k/3 years really do miss out imho. :)

It's usual for engines to get better when they become properly run in - as Tom suggests over 30k and it should be nicely run in.

I did say (relatively) :(

I know it's not taxi mileage, but I also know many (un-educated) peeps would turn their nose up at a car that's done this mileage in this time scale.

That's because many of the consumeables such as brake pads / discs / exhaust etc will be due for replacement more imminently. It's swings and roundabouts - I'd rather have a lower mileage car as there is less chance it has been misused by previous owners.

That's because many of the consumeables such as brake pads / discs / exhaust etc will be due for replacement more imminently. It's swings and roundabouts - I'd rather have a lower mileage car as there is less chance it has been misused by previous owners.

Yes but that's also an excuse for upgrades !!! particularly when the exhaust goes :D

Yes but that's also an excuse for upgrades !!! particularly when the exhaust goes :D

Good point, but not foremost in most people's minds.

my boss is considering changing his Volvo cos its now 3yrs old and has 30k on the clock, he seems really concerned (maybe cos its a volvo).

My previous new car was a Passat TDi 130 and although I gave it back after 12mths I had managed to clock up 42k and the engine was running so much better than when I first had it. I have noticed now I have reached 15k on my VRS the engine has loosened considerably

Unless you like topping up the oil, I m not going to recommend anyone buys my car when it goes back to the lease company next Febuary.

It drinks 1 litre every 3000 miles now at 52000miles, what will it be like at 70000 miles when it goes back?

Unless you like topping up the oil, I m not going to recommend anyone buys my car when it goes back to the lease company next Febuary.

It drinks 1 litre every 3000 miles now at 52000miles, what will it be like at 70000 miles when it goes back?

I've just done shy of 2k miles in mine over the past 3 weeks and it hasn't used a drop :confused:

I've had the car for 3 months and done 4.5k miles in it and have put in 0.5l in that time!

Yeah, I meant my particular car, other 2.0T cars maybe ok.

Get the impression oil usage will depend on a number of factors i.e. 1st service, motorway miles etc..

Proberbly doesn't help that my car is on long servicing which uses a thiner oil plus I have a petrol card, so it also doesn't have a particularly gentle life, specially when other people borrow it.