Skoda Estelle brakes

mklrnn

Hi! I recently (yesterday) got a 1990 Skoda Estelle into my garage. I'd need some help, since I'm rather green about garaging. Now, I need some help with the rear brakes. How do I open them up? They're stuck...

Also, different ways to lower the car..?

Thanx for sharing your knowledge?

Welcome to Briskoda, mklrnn, and to our first Finnish member. :wave:

Hopefully one of our Estelle owners will be able to offer you advice.

Time to walk the reindeer.......dog.gif

As its a 1990 Estelle it should have swinging arm suspension and a 5 speed box mainly 130's - however a few models were made of 120 versions without the swinging arms and teh five speed gear box. The way you can tell is if you can see the drive shafts and cv joints then its swinging arms, else if the shafts are enclosed in tubes and the suspension is trailing. What has all this to do with brakes ???

Well if its swinging arms the drums can be removed after removing the retaining screw/s - they can then be forced off by screwing a bolt into the threaded hole in the drum which will push the drum off by pressing against the hub.

However if its the earlier sort of suspension a heavy duty special puller will be required after removing the drum retaining bolt - they are on tight and cannot be removed by hammering etc. Hope its the later sort...

John

Yes, It is the earlier kind of brakes. But my uncle tipped me with the same construction as the special tool for the task. Then the Haynes manual tipped me with improvements, so yesterday my dad and I tested the home-made special tool. a drawing will appear on my website soon...i hope.

worked very well! But the wew surely tight! the manual sais 200 Nm !!