instrument panel

Hello people,

I am having the following problem. All the gauges in the instrument panel stopped working. All the other things appear to work fine, it lights up, the warning lights show up when the ignition is connected. but the revs the speedometer, the fuel and temp gauges wont work.

any advice?

Hi try typing the word instrument in to the search option at the top of the page, and this will enable you to read all that has been written to date about the fault.

It is by no means a rare occurrence, unfortunately.

Soviet

Ok, i've searched for it, and found that removing the fuse #15, will correct the problem with the analog dials, but, whats the real problem here? will i have to buy a new instrument panel? what can cause this problem?

I installed an audio amplifier this weekend, does this in any way can be related to the instrument panel failure?

thanks in advance

Hi,

I really don't think that the fault has any connection with the installation of the amplifier that you have done now.

It really depends on what is causing the problem, but it is most likely to be bad soldering on the PCB, or the two plugs at the back of the panel could be dirty/bad contacts.

Some people on the forum have soldered around the voltage regulator IC for the analogue stepper motors which is a five pinned device of type TLE4276G which is near to the edge of the board, and under the speedometer side of it.

I am afraid to date that a cure is by luck or judgment, as there doesn't seem to be a one cure fits all.

With fuse 15 removed your panel will work for about 90% of the time, but you will have noticed that it does a zero reset each time. I am not sure what the testing regime is like in the Caribbean but in the UK we have the MOT ministry of transport test, and without the dials working it is not a failure, as long as the LED displays the correct mileage. But it is illegal to drive on the British mans road without Speedo working, which is rather strange.

Try searching, dials, regulator, regulators, to learn all that is currently known. In the UK I think that a new dash pod sells for around £600 sterling.

I hope that this is of some help, and if you find the cause of your particular problem then please be kind enough to share it with the forum

Best of luck

Soviet:thumbup:

thanks for the prompt response!... i'll take out the instrument panel as soon as i have time for it. and no here there are not regultaions at all, if your headlights and all other signal lights work you're good to go jejejejeje.....

If this helps, the day the problem appeared, the car had some problems to start, at first it started and then the engine stopped, when i turned the ignition again, it appeared completely dead as if there were no battery, then when i turned the key again it started with out the dials.

Do Caribbean models have an immobiliser?, if it does it won't run without the dash panel as that is where the immobiliser is, the engine firing and then stopping is a symptom of an immobiliser fault, along with the orange key symbol. The dash panel also contains the CAN gateway which allows the comfort and powertrain CANs to communicate.

To the best of my knowledge you're correct that the EU and American models are the same electrically (there may be other trim, engine tune or emissions control differences).

On the odometer not working point, they were originally intended as service interval indicators, not for total mileage. I've heard of veteran cars only having units that read up to 9_999.0 miles.

a little question of of the instrument panel topic..... how cani know if the the rear suspension bushings are busted. if've been noticing that the rear of the car gets rather nervous when going throught uneven pavement and it makes a squeaking sound when you push down the back of the car. i.ve installed zenn lowering springs, and 17' wheels. it's been a while since i installed them, but it's lately that i've noticed this.

• 1 month later...

instrument panel working again!!!!!!! YEEEiii.... just resoldered every little part on the electronic board. now the problem is that one of the digital displays is not showing all the info, just have to adjust it again....