Fault Codes on Octy vRS mk1

bpm

After spotting some oil on the driveway and nothing seemed to be out of the norm, mechanically, I decided to take VSAG-COM out and give the car the quick once over...

2 Faults Found:

16804 - Catalyst System; Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold

P0420 - 35-00 - -

16712 - Knock Sensor 1 (G61): Signal too High

P0328 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Readiness: 0000 0000

I did clear the codes and they have not returned yet after an engine turn off then on again. I've yet to take it for a spin.

What should I look out for with the above faults? (What does the knock sensor do anyway?)

The knock sensor senses vibrations from the engine, particularly vibrations caused by the fuel igniting before it's supposed to. If it senses a vibration it will send a signal to the ECU that will in turn retard the ignition timing, which will take the edge of the performance.

Fuel pre-ignition can be caused by the ignition timing being too advanced, an inferior quality fuel and not so much found theses days - excessive carbon build up in the combustion chambers, leading to a higher compression ratio and hot spots. I have known a 8 valve Fabia suffer from reduced performance caused by a rattling timing chain setting off the knock sensor.

Thanks fordfan.

I was thinking I had a tankful of dodgy petrol recently, but the car was much more lively once a new tankful of petrol was put in. I think it's time to treat the car to a tankful of v-power to clean out the pipes!

• 4 weeks later...