Mk1 Octavia Stereo Intermittent Fault - No Sound

Scott78

Hello - would be grateful if anyone can help - I have an intermittent problem with the stereo in my 2001 Octavia Estate (Elegance spec). Its the standard Skoda Symphony HU with the 6 CD changer in the boot.

Sometimes the stereo works fine, but then the next time the car is driven there will be no sound for some reason. The backlight and display etc will still be on, and the functions can be changed, but there is no sound.

I have checked the connections at the rear of the HU and they all seem fine - are there other cables / connections that I should be checking - maybe an output to the speakers?

I think I have managed to get the sound back a couple of times by slamming the driver's door:D, but I don't want to do this too much!!

The problem is very intermittent - it can be fine for a couple of weeks and then not work for a few days.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Scott

First does the sound go when you use the radio ?. If it stays it is in the changer and/or wiring. If it goes when on radio,the fault is the head unit ,or wiring. Pull the head unit out ,while being connected,and fiddle with rear connectors whilst turned on. If display stays on,even when you loose sound,then it sounds like the wiring to the speakers. If you can locate which speaker is going off,then there may be a broken wire where the cable runs through the rubber part at the door hinge,because this is flexed everytime the door is opened. I have known a loudspeaker itself having a semi broken wire going to the speaker cone. The connection was made most of the time,except when the door was slammed ,or the cone was moved by the electrical signal itself.Perhaps you can try another radio with simular ISO connections to prove or disprove head unit or wiring?.

Sorry not to have the complete answer,but even car Mechanics ,and Technicians ,would have to take this route to solve your problem.

Edited by AndyPandy

Thanks for that. I've already checked the connections and tried another HU - connections at the HU seem fine and yes the fault is the same with both HUs. Fault is the same whether its the radio or CD. I think it's possibly the wire to the speaker on the driver's door or the speaker itself - I'll have to try to check the connections.

• 3 weeks later...

Scott78 - I have exactly the same symptoms as you. 2002 Octavia; intermittent loss of sound; radio is all powered up, cassette player winds tapes, can change and "play" CDs - but no sound whatsoever.

To begin with, the sound disappeared for a few days and then came back for a few days, but in the last couple of months, the radio has only worked once - for a period of about one minute! I've had the radio out, fiddled with all the connections on the back, but all to no avail.

I'd been assuming that it wasn't the wiring to speakers that was faulty, because either all of the speakers work or all of the speakers stop working simultaneously - it's not just one speaker that falls silent. But is my assumption wrong?

Would be very interested to know whether you have got to the bottom of what is wrong with yours.