After some guidance please...

Hi guys,

I have just run a scan on my car (2.0 TFSi - 106000 miles) and received the following output:

000022 - Bank 1: CMP Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incorrect Correlation

P0016 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent - MIL ON

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 10101000

Fault Priority: 0

Fault Frequency: 9

Mileage: 170602 km

Time Indication: 0

Date: 2000.00.00

Time: 08:33:44

Freeze Frame:

RPM: 885 /min

Load: 28.6 %

Speed: 12.0 km/h

Temperature: 9.0°C

Temperature: 2.0°C

Absolute Pres.: 990.0 mbar

Voltage: 14.605 V

000010 - Camshaft Positioner (Bank 1 Intake): Slow Response

P000A - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 00101000

Fault Priority: 0

Fault Frequency: 2

Mileage: 170605 km

Time Indication: 0

Date: 2000.00.00

Time: 20:04:51

Freeze Frame:

RPM: 1025 /min

Load: 32.5 %

Speed: 13.0 km/h

Temperature: 9.0°C

Temperature: 6.0°C

Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar

Voltage: 14.478 V

I've checked these out on the Ross-Tech site and they list:

First code: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16400/P0016/000022

Now this sounds kinda scary and not the sort of thing I can 'DIY'. It's a new code I've not seen before. Could it be caused by the fault shown in the second code?

Second code: I changed the camshaft position sensor a couple of weeks ago after getting the same code (http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/179833-camshaft-sensor/page__p__2161886entry2161886). I checked the resistance across it before fitting and it didn't read correctly, but I fitted the part anyway as the one that came out was definitely bust. Could be a faulty part?

I read on a Golf forum: 'I throw this code every now and then, and I've been told it's from sludge build up.' - If this is true it may make sense, it has popped up twice now and both have been when I've only been using the car for short journeys. It does tend to stay away when I use the car 'properly'... It was serviced a few months ago though so the oil shouldn't be too dirty I'd have thought.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

Adam

Edited by AdamR

Ok that's great, thanks very much, will give it a go! I know where the camshaft position sensor is, but unsure about the other... I read 'The G40 sensor was replaced and lives in the cylinder head behind the camshaft sprocket, so is a cambelt off job unfortunately', does that sound about right?

Many thanks,

Adam

Done bit more digging, found on page 36 small images of the G40 and G28 sensors (page 36 of the PDF, labelled page 32: http://www.mk5gli.com/downloads/2.0t.pdf).

Looks like what I changed before was the definitely G28, so I know where that is (and can hopefully trace the wiring a little).

For the G40, there's a systematic diagram on page 38/page 34 that shows it, but I'm not sure where it's situated physically...

On the 20VT engine it appears to be behind a cambelt sprocket, which would confirm the quote I put in my post above... (Link 1 - Link 2). Ideally don't wanna go poking around with that unless I really need to!

Edited by AdamR