immobiliser fault

err

Hi!

Skoda octavia slx 1,8 1999

If anyone could give me a good advice about a key/immobiliser issue i would be really greatful!

From time to time when i start the car the engine will turn it self off after 2 sek and the key immobiliser sign is showing. After trying 5-6 start attempts the engine will finally run normaly and start normaly for another week then the same issue appear again and the story repeats itself. Have been like this for a couple of months now. Scared it will stop in middle of the road or not start at all in the end. I have tried with both my keys and there is no difference.

Does anyone have a clue about the solution for this problem?

Thx for reply!

The most likely cause is a faulty immo reader coil on the ignition switch or the wiring from the reader coil to the dash insert.

Okay sounds like a good suggestion. SKoda dealer/service wanted to spend more time looking for the issue, they found only 1 fault registration on immobiliser while reading faulty codes on this computer thing. Maybe better just to change this coil then waist time on diagnosis?

I would change the loom from the coil to the instrument panel first, it costs less than £10 for the loom. We've changed quite a few looms on the early Octavias and no reading coils to cure a low key signal fault. I think that the coil is part of the lock barrel, so it's a case of getting a barrel matched to your key or a barrel with new different keys that need coding to your immobiliser and losing the one key fits all locks convenience.

The last one we saw with an immobiliser fault had the strange problem of the transponder missing from both sets of keys. That was fixed by sending the customer home to check his carpet, where his key had come apart the previous night. He found the transponder and his car worked again.

I would change the loom from the coil to the instrument panel first, it costs less than £10 for the loom. We've changed quite a few looms on the early Octavias and no reading coils to cure a low key signal fault. I think that the coil is part of the lock barrel, so it's a case of getting a barrel matched to your key or a barrel with new different keys that need coding to your immobiliser and losing the one key fits all locks convenience.

The last one we saw with an immobiliser fault had the strange problem of the transponder missing from both sets of keys. That was fixed by sending the customer home to check his carpet, where his key had come apart the previous night. He found the transponder and his car worked again.

Thx for good advice! I will tell the service then to change the loom(is that a cable?) and the lock barrel. This must be a rather common failure on older skodas or what? Skoda guys over here want to spend more time on the car searching for the issue i guesse and dont give me any proper answer to fast... Lucky guy who found his transponder :) My keys should be fine, one of them is brand new with coding and stuff.

The loom is the twisted pair of green and black wires that run from the reading coil on the ignition barrel the the rear of the instrument panel. The loom part number is 1U0971809, that we use in the UK, it might be the same in Norway.

It can be changed at a leisurely pace in about an hour, the tricky part is removing the wires from the plug on the instrument panel. Get them to change just the loom first as this will be initially the easiest and cheapest option, that in my experience is proven to cure a weak key signal fault.

The loom is the twisted pair of green and black wires that run from the reading coil on the ignition barrel the the rear of the instrument panel. The loom part number is 1U0971809, that we use in the UK, it might be the same in Norway.

It can be changed at a leisurely pace in about an hour, the tricky part is removing the wires from the plug on the instrument panel. Get them to change just the loom first as this will be initially the easiest and cheapest option, that in my experience is proven to cure a weak key signal fault.

Thx! Will do that! genoiusly

Weather gone from bad to worse this winter so its rather un leasurly here :) Excited to see if this work!

Hey thanks for reading this. My Skoda has a reccurring immobiliser fault that prevents me starting the car basically whenever it feels like it!

The car's history shows that a few attempts have already been made to cure this including changing the reader coil (new ignition barrel & ignition keys). I think the loom wiring from reader coil to dash panel has also been changed.

I was informed a few months ago that my car may need a new 'Dash-insert' (based on diagnostic with skoda dealer). But since then the garage has closed down & no-one else seems to recognise the part number he gave me (which based on his hand-writing is not surprising!) So can anyone tell me what a dash-insert is exactly? With maybe an estimate of the cost to replace & the correct Part No. for my car's model? That would be fantastic!

Many thanks, this problem is driving me nuts! (no pun intended lol)

Hey thanks for reading this. My Skoda has a reccurring immobiliser fault that prevents me starting the car basically whenever it feels like it!

The car's history shows that a few attempts have already been made to cure this including changing the reader coil (new ignition barrel & ignition keys). I think the loom wiring from reader coil to dash panel has also been changed.

I was informed a few months ago that my car may need a new 'Dash-insert' (based on diagnostic with skoda dealer). But since then the garage has closed down & no-one else seems to recognise the part number he gave me (which based on his hand-writing is not surprising!) So can anyone tell me what a dash-insert is exactly? With maybe an estimate of the cost to replace & the correct Part No. for my car's model? That would be fantastic!

Many thanks, this problem is driving me nuts! (no pun intended lol)

Hi!! Seriously hope we dont shear the same problem.. so far i havent tried changing the loom since the service guys also mentioned that basically every sensor in the engine was non responding, and in that sense the engine puke out more pollutants than Tjernobyl. Can u not just change the whole dash? On the diagnosis test there was noted weak signal to key/immobiliser did u get similiar print out?

Hi!! Seriously hope we dont shear the same problem.. so far i havent tried changing the loom since the service guys also mentioned that basically every sensor in the engine was non responding, and in that sense the engine puke out more pollutants than Tjernobyl. Can u not just change the whole dash? On the diagnosis test there was noted weak signal to key/immobiliser did u get similiar print out?

If that many sensors seem to be failing, a first step would be to replace Relay 109 (ECU power relay). It is a common fault and can cause all the symptoms you have.

If that many sensors seem to be failing, a first step would be to replace Relay 109 (ECU power relay). It is a common fault and can cause all the symptoms you have.

Okay will look into that, but was also thinking about changing the lambda since it probably havent been done before, would that help? The engine runs pretty poor i would say, out of 120 horses i guesse most of them have escaped somewhere else..

Migth it even fix my immobiliser problem?

Okay will look into that, but was also thinking about changing the lambda since it probably havent been done before, would that help? The engine runs pretty poor i would say, out of 120 horses i guesse most of them have escaped somewhere else..

Migth it even fix my immobiliser problem?

Just realised that your car is a petrol so it doesn't have a relay 109.

Do you have access to VCDS?

not sure what vcds is?

VCDS (previously known as VAG-COM) is a PC based diagnostic tool for VAG cars.

For early cars such as yours, there is a shareware version called VCDS-Lite. The only thing you would need to buy, is a suitable lead which costs less than £20.

It will enable you to read the fault codes stored in the car in a way that non-VAG specific scanners can not.

Take a look at http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html and http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/index.html

VCDS (previously known as VAG-COM) is a PC based diagnostic tool for VAG cars.

For early cars such as yours, there is a shareware version called VCDS-Lite. The only thing you would need to buy, is a suitable lead which costs less than £20.

It will enable you to read the fault codes stored in the car in a way that non-VAG specific scanners can not.

Take a look at http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html and http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/index.html

Okay sounds like a good investment. Wich VAG-COM Interface should i get? http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/applications/index.html there is some audi and vw models, wich of them correspond to my skoda?