Warm starting problem

This is not really a problem (or at least I hope it isn't), but my car starts first time every time when cold with no fuss. However, if you have been for a run, and it has warmed up, then it seems to be a different matter.

My cold starting routine - key in ignition, car out of gear, depress clutch and start car, without using the gas pedal.

When starting from warm, the car will not fire unless I press the gas pedal, and then seems to start with a "clonk" despite the fact that the car is out of gear and the clutch pedal depressed.

Is this normal for the 1.9 TDi models?

Andy

• Like 1

This has been covered numerous times on here, and is a known problem.

Mine was cured with a new battery, others have had to replace the starter motor.

Mike

Cheers Mike, but the starter seems to be working fine, whirring over nicely, and starts the car when cold. I was wondering if there was a problem with fuel evaporation in the injection system (I had an Alfa and BMW which suffered from that) when the car was warm, and also, why there should be a big "clonk" on starting when warm, but not when cold.

Andy

There have been quite a few threads on this of late - try the search function.

If I remember correctly there have been other members with what appear to be perfectly working batteries and starter motors complaining of hot starting issues. They go around the houses then as a last resort change the battery/starter motor and hey presto - all fixed!