Emissons light and power loss - Scan says faulty EGR

Hi all, please help as already £1100 down. Just replaced clutch and fly wheel and gearbox was reconditioned on my 2004 superb 1.9 tdi 130hp. Got the car back yesterday and it run beautifully. This morning however it has emmission workshop light and no power up hills , the garage scanned it and it came up with EGR valve fault. Is this just a coincidence or could something have been knocked or split....please help with clear english as not technically minded and any help given will be relayed to my mechanic. Thanks donna.

Edited by Rudders

It has gone into limp home mode. My guess is one of the vacuum pipes has been disturbed (the rubber ones rot!). The vacuum system starts as a one way valve "T" off near the brake master cylinder which via flexible cloth couloured rubber and hard plastic pipes cross the bulkhead onto a solenoid (operates EGR) then back accross the bulkhead into a resevoir and two solenoids (one for turbo vanes & one for anti shudder). A leak ANYWHERE in this lot causes problems.

The EGR solenoid is NS tucked low down near the bulkhead (and near the clutch - start here!). The turbo/ anti shudder solenoids are OS just to one side of the front of the engine.

My Superb showed EGR fault/limp home which was caused by the fact one of the hard plastic pipes had eventually rubbed through due to vibration. (It is usually the flexible ones that go though). It was shortened to fix! Other things can cause problems though (solenoids!) but by the fact you are having problems just after things have been disturbed my money is on a pipe.

Edited by bigjohn

Thank you for responding, i shall pass this info on. Can i just ask about the solenoid thats by the clutch-is this something that could have been knocked/ damaged and is it a costly problem (sorry if daft question). Ta again, Donna

Thank you for responding, i shall pass this info on. Can i just ask about the solenoid thats by the clutch-is this something that could have been knocked/ damaged and is it a costly problem (sorry if daft question). Ta again, Donna

It could easily have been disturbed. There are a lot of pipe connections thet could have been disturbed here so before spending any money on parts get these checked out. You will need to remove the engine top cover to access.

Does the engine shudder more now when you turn it off?

Edited by bigjohn

Hi john, yes the car did shudder, does this indicate something specific? Once again thank you for your help. Am at wits end due to money already spent.

Hi john, yes the car did shudder, does this indicate something specific? Once again thank you for your help. Am at wits end due to money already spent.

Hi,

This more or less indicates that it's a vacuum leak as the antishudder valve works off the same system via a different solenoid. I.e. more likely to be a disturbed pipe. Ask the garage to follow the thin pipe T'd off from the brake servo pipe and follow it accross the engine bay bulkhead. On the passenger side near the bulkhead it drops down into the depths of the engine bay onto a few joints/ T pieces and a solenoid (near the clutch).

• Like 1

You are a genius!!! We found a thin pipe has come out of a T piece right in front of the brake servo. The emissions workshop light is still on but full power has been restored. Can i assume that the scanner can clear the fault message? Dare i hope this is solved?

Glad to be of service. Just passing on my prior but limited experience.

The warning light should clear itself after a while after a certain number of starts.

The Vacuum system of this era of VAG car does get a bit of bad press, however it is a fairly simple system that is relatively easy to diagnose. It is strange that it starts at the OS with pipe work going accross to the NS and then all the way back to the OS. I can only presume this is how the conversion from LHD to RHD was implemented.

• 3 years later...

I bought my second hand octavia estate 2.0 DSG 3 weeks ago and after 90miles on the motorway and City driving no probs. During The second weekend going over 60-70m/h I got a loss of power making possible drive Only at 50m/h but The problem is gone just switching off/on The engine. At the third weekend the problem was constant each time I was over 60-70m/h making me go slow and impossible go beyond the other cars. During The return trip the problem came just once as soon as I was fast in motorway but I felt like small explosion and the alert "emission workshop" came out and since that the engine yellow light on The dashboard is always on. Plugged for a check up in 2 different service garage it seems to be a low pressure in the boost....but in town as all the return trip I did'nt get any other loss of power despite having the alert message and the engine light always on.

The second garage is available to fix it only next week but absolutely I need the car during the weekend for 200miles...any advice? Can I make a worse damage driving the car for other 200miles?