Superb 1.8Tsi 2011 Cold Misfire

stevie007

Hi Guy's,

Car now done 15k from pre-ownership purchase.

The problem is, when 1st starting the engine from cold, mornings or when left 3-4 hours, there is a noticeable slight misfire that lasts 20-30 seconds then runs smooth. This happens all the time and no warning lights to indicate a fault. 

The car went back a few months ago for a faulty battery and was mentioned to reception staff who made a note of it but they could not find a fault.

So just wondering if anyone has had this experience or if known as a fault?

Thanks

Steve

Yeh, tried the super plus fuels too, shell, Esso, BP etc without any noticeable difference, plus was just serviced before picking up last November around 7500k so assume all filters was replaced then!

Yeh, tried the super plus fuels too, shell, Esso, BP etc without any noticeable difference, plus was just serviced before picking up last November around 7500k so assume all filters was replaced then!

My 1.8TSI does it as well. I was a bit worried when it first happened. After about a mile it clears its throat and is happy.

Don't assume the filters have been done, mine weren't when I brought on the Skoda AUC scheme. They'd done the bare minimum to pass MOT and get it out of the door. I changed the pollen and air filter myself. Fuel filter is fitted for life.

This is normal, all 1.8 TSI's run a little rough when cold for the first 20 seconds or so. It has to do with emissions etc. Don't worry about it.

Sorry guys, this is not normal. Mine started to do this @ around 10,000kms. It was fixed by updated ECU software when I had the clutch packs replaced. My is smooth at cold start up...as it should be with any modern engine.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

This is an update;

Just had the 2nd service done which I mentioned the misfire and for them to replace the Skoda Auto round boot badge as showing signs of corrosion and hey presto... ECU has now been updated and no more misfire and now car seems more smoother and responsive too..!

Also they replaced the badge which is a known fault under a service bulletin.

Cheers and hope this info is of help.

Steve

• Like 1

Hi all,

This is an update;

Just had the 2nd service done which I mentioned the misfire and for them to replace the Skoda Auto round boot badge as showing signs of corrosion and hey presto... ECU has now been updated and no more misfire and now car seems more smoother and responsive too..!

Also they replaced the badge which is a known fault under a service bulletin.

Cheers and hope this info is of help.

Steve

Any details on the ECU update that I could give to my dealer? Mines going in soon and so may ask them to investigate this as I do have what feels like a misfire when cold

Sorry no, I just asked them to check for an ECU update as this cured the misfiring fault on other 1.8Tsi which they came back afterwards to say there was an update and now car ok...

• 3 years later...

That is HOPS/Homogeneous split (HSP)

Homogeneous split mode is a special form of homogeneous stratified double injection. It is employed after the starting phase to attain catalytic converter operating temperature as quickly as possible. Thanks to the stabilizing effect of the second injection operation on the compression stroke, ignition can be greatly retarded (15...30° crankshaft after ignition top dead center). A considerable proportion of the combustion energy then no longer goes into increasing torque but rather raises the exhaust gas enthalpy level. The exhaust gas heat flow is such that the catalytic converter is ready for operation just seconds after starting.

Reset of motor ECU adaptations, throttle body cleaning and alignment and few cold starts and rides will cure this issue as well on condition the engine has no other problem.

• Like 1