Skoda Superb Water Ingress.

Hello all. Now I'm very aware of water ingress issues with the mk1 Superb, and as such preventing this was the first thing I did when I got my car. However, over the past week, the central locking has gone haywire. It's only locking some doors. Sometimes it'll only lock the near side rear and drivers, then next time it'll only lock the passenger etc..... Thinking what the hell is going on? I checked the passenger footwell, lifted my rubber mat, and it is absolutely drenched!

I've had a peak by the scuttle area and it seems to be dry. However opening the passenger door, the bottom of the door and the sill plate thingy is soaking wet, so I'm thinking the water is coming in through the door.

Is this an easy fix? Argh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Once you have the door trim off it is a 5 minute job - there is an official VW kit you can buy of a surface prep chemical and sealant, or just use a sealant.  You don't need to take the metal door carrier off (as you can seal over the outside where it joins the door panel) but taking the door trim off does make the job much easier.  I didn't get the VW kit and used Shell Tixophalte - which is an asphalt-like compound which even sticks properly to wet surfaces.  http://www.aboutroofing.com/shop/buy/Shell/Tixophalte_Waterproof_Sealant_310ml_Cartridge/

The drivers door trim is really easy to get off but to date I've not managed to get a passenger one off - the trim on the internal door pulls is what you need to get off and levering it looked to me likely to marr the finish, so as I didn't have a leak I left those doors.  I'm sure it isn't hard but even the VW diagram shows someone attacking the trim with a screwdriver... still it sounds like you don't really have much option...!

Good luck! :)

I've had the door trims off before to fit new mirrors. So I know how to get them off. Are there any diagrams to show what needs sealing though? Or is it obvious?

Ah, you are good to go then! :) 

I did a U shape covering the bottom half of where the carrier meets the door panel. The pressed steel edge of the carrier makes a natural channel for you to run the sealant into, and then smooth out nicely.

The benefit of sealing on the outside is several:

• you don't have to take apart more of the car than necessary
  • you don't need to take off the old foam seal from the back of the carrier
  • if you need to get in there again, you can easily cut the seal from the front instead of bending the panel when trying to pry off the sealant
  • if you use tixophalte and have to re-do, it can be cleaned off perfectly using turpentine, instead of scraping off silicone