I have a damaged pipe, is it for diesel or coolant?

Hello, I have a damaged pipe, see below. Does anybody know if it is for diesel or coolant, and is there a technical name for the pipe please??

(Bit worried as going on a long trip tomorrow and wondered if duck tape might give temporary protection.)

post-116253-0-95563000-1397644746_thumb.jpg

post-116253-0-01202600-1397644756_thumb.jpg

It looks to me more like the pipe to the intercooler.

If its leaking, you will be losing power, but it shouldn't do any damage. You may be able to hear a whistle from it.

I could be wrong though, as I've not seen that engine.

Thanks Huskoda, I don't think it's leaking much, just seems to be worn. I'll try to tape it up. How does the engine lose power, through over heating? Does it feed back into the water coolant area? (sorry for all the questions, I'm quite new when it comes to car engines!) :blush:

The intercooler cools down the compressed air from the turbocharger before it goes back into the engine. If it is leaking, some of the air will be escaping so you wont get the maximum power out of the engine. If you get a big enough hole or the pipe disconnects itself, then you will lose almost all power.

Though looking at the pictures again, it might be a radiator pipe, so that could be leaking coolant. Check the fluid level.

Its not a fuel pipe, though.

While watching your coolant level, squeeze the damaged pipe, if the coolant level changes, it's a coolant pipe, if not, then it's probably an intercooler pipe.

putting the visible part number (6Q0122051) into google reveal bottom radiator hose

time to identify what caused the damage, replace the hose and protect it to prevent future damage

• Like 1