2nd Hand Amundsen+ installed and no sound output.

jazzycian

Hello all,

I put an Amundsen+ from a crashed vrs into mine. Mine originally had a stream mp3 unit. Everything works except any sound output, sat nav, mic for calls (people can hear me but I can't hear them on the phone) and can hear cd changer changing cds. Getting nothing out of the speakers.

On reading around I think maybe the car this came out of had an upgraded sound system maybe with an external amp and my car doesn't have one. Can you get the unit to use it's own internal amplifier on vcds? Would anyone have any ideas if this is something that could be fixed via vcds.

Hoping it is and that I haven't bought a bogey.

Have you fitted a later version CAN gateway or just stuck this upgrade straight in?

Not done any Admundsen retrofits, but imagine it might be a case similar to the Bolero fitting to older cars.

Sound System wise, that should only really be down to the coding for the car its fitted to, have you made any changes there as well?

Have you fitted a later version CAN gateway or just stuck this upgrade straight in?

Not done any Admundsen retrofits, but imagine it might be a case similar to the Bolero fitting to older cars.

Sound System wise, that should only really be down to the coding for the car its fitted to, have you made any changes there as well?

I have a 2008 diesel vrs and the Amundsen+ came out of a 2012 vrs. I haven't done anything with vcds or the can gateway. I don't have access to vcds and am in Ireland so probably not too many around with it. Surely it would be a simple enough fix. Rang a skoda dealer today and they were talking about booking the car in for an hour and it would be 100 euro.

OK, your gateway might be OK then. Just depends if the dealer knows what's involved and what to do. Many would just tell you the unit isn't compatible...

But no sound output is usually indicative of the coding being wrong. Especially if the coding is expecting the Sound System DSP to be there, and to route audio through that. But if your car doesn't have one, then audio won't be routed correctly.

Yeah they didn't really seem to be very knowledgeable in this matter. The first service guy said he never heard of such a thing and the next wasn't overly sure about what it could be. I don't want to leave it in for them to ***** around for an hour to fix it costing me 100 euro. Should any auto electrician be familiar with or would they even have vcds?

Yeah they didn't really seem to be very knowledgeable in this matter. The first service guy said he never heard of such a thing and the next wasn't overly sure about what it could be. I don't want to leave it in for them to ***** around for an hour to fix it costing me 100 euro. Should any auto electrician be familiar with or would they even have vcds?

You need someone with experience of VAG retrofits really, rather than just general auto electrician experience, in my view.

Just back from an auto electrician there. He had the full diagnostic tools. He said he couldn't communicate with the radio because there seems to be some after market wiring in it. Which is true I would think because it had a Nokia car kit in it and I took it out. The connectors at the back also are a bit mangled and he detected some intermittent failure I think he said of the radio. I saw the pin receivers on the sockets are a bit mangled so that's probably bang on too. He thinks that if they restore the wiring back to the way it should be then it might just work straight off. Or at least he will be able to communicate with it. Have it booked in for next Friday provisionally but I think I might try go at it myself. He thought that the sockets were not original ones and that hopefully the original ones are tucked away at the back. Would this make sense? Would a Nokia car kit be wired in like this? I know there is two other looms behind the climatronic dials. One small one wasn't used and the other one with more wires was connected to a relay box to mute the speakers when you get a call. Gonna try get this all out maybe without going back to them.

Problem pretty much solved now. I got the relay box off the Nokia car kit and plugged it back in to it's connector. Obviously just needed to have whatever cables going through the closed contacts on the relay box. All sound is back now. Just going to leave all the additional wiring tucked away. Would be nice to have the wiring removed and left back stock but then again when I go to sell the car I can just put back in the stream mp3 and plug back in the rest of the Nokia car kit again. Done. Thanks for the help but probably no need to check the vcds settings now rainbowfire unless there is any little tweaks that could be performed with this setup. Is it possible to turn on the reversing graphics? Have the beeps anyway so no big deal anyway. Only thing that doesn't work with this is the AUX in under the arm rest. Probably can't have this working and have the aux on the front of the unit working too. Best thing is I've saved a fortune just putting the relay box back in. The auto electrical place charge about 80 euro an hour plus whatever connectors they would use. By the time they get the glove box off and alter the wiring it would be upwards of 200 euro I would say. So that's not happening.

I'll be on the car in the morning :)

The reason for the extra wiring is because, whoever did the original car-kit didn't understand that you can wire the kit straight into the head-unit with three wires.

quadlock-29716.jpg

Connector C (usually green) Pins 6 and 12 take the speaker input and 10 takes the mute trigger.

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/mfd2-connector-38309       green connector (if not already in the quadlock)

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/wire-set-24951                   two of these. Cut both in half, use wired ends to connect to output from phone kit.

Ta da! A properly integrated, OEM phone connection, for a price much less than fiddling around with 3rd party connectors and mucking around trying to keep the excess cable out of the way. I had this on my Stream MP3 and my RCD310: worked a treat.

You should, in theory, be able to backtrack the wiring back to the quadlock, remove everything forwards of that, stick the qualock back into the headunit and probably get the aux feed back too :)

That's very good info. Means I should be able to put the Nokia car kit into the woman's Lupo without having to take all the wiring out of mine and reuse it.

Why would they not just do it that way? Far simpler. And this was done by a business that installs car kits.

My coding is:

The coding isn't quite "normal" Skoda as I am having a play with installing a reversing camera :)

Screen-grabs are here:

http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/Dark_Passenger/library/RNS315%20coding

That's very good info. Means I should be able to put the Nokia car kit into the woman's Lupo without having to take all the wiring out of mine and reuse it.

Why would they not just do it that way? Far simpler. And this was done by a business that installs car kits.

Having looked at the official MDI cable, even VW disconnect the analogue feed from the aux port to drive the MDI. There are physically no pins ifor the aux at the car end of the cable. :o

I'll be taking the 315 out of my old car an into the Scout tomorrow, I'll try and remember to get a couple of pics of the original cabling and connectors