Seat Leon 1.4 mk1

Girardi

Hi all.

Looking to do a service on my wife's Leon. Not worth enough or complicated enough to get it in to a garage so i'm going to get the bits and do it myself.

Does anyone have any experience of these engines? 1.4 16v, think it's the same as was fitted to various golf4/fabias/etc. I've been told it can be tricky to get at the plugs but not sure that's the case? I've attached a pic randomly googled from the internet in case anyone recognises the engine hehe.

Also, car never came with a handbook and whilst it seems very easy to find the correct oil for VAG 1.8t, and for the newer 1.4tsi engines but I can't find anything on the old 1.4 16v - anyone know the right oil?

Really just looking for anything to be aware of before I start. Thanks in advance!

post-112125-0-05543400-1397734449_thumb.jpg

Edited by kiscix

The Haynes manual for the mkIV Golf should cover your engine and running gear. We have a 1.6 mkI Leon and that has the BCB engine as used in the golf. If you let me know the engine code I can check it in the Haynes book I have.

Oil wise you need vw spec 502 or 504. I have always run ours on semi synth 502 spec oil.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Pretty easy to work on. Cambelts are very important to change on those engines as they are prone to failure as are the rollers so get a kit.

Genune oil filters have a nice 30mm nut on the end of it to aid removal. However some people treat it as an aid to do them up, far exceeding the 25 Nm and they can be a right arse to get off.

Genune oil filters have a nice 30mm nut on the end of it to aid removal. However some people treat it as an aid to do them up, far exceeding the 25 Nm and they can be a right arse to get off.

Our 1.6 has this too, but the air con pipework gets in the way so you can't use it.

Our 1.6 has this too, but the air con pipework gets in the way so you can't use it.

Having the right combo of tools you can get on all of them somehow. I normally either use a 30mm spanner or a deep 30mm socket on a 1/2" drive ratchet. But getting the filter out sometimes can be a task.

Having the right combo of tools you can get on all of them somehow. I normally either use a 30mm spanner or a deep 30mm socket on a 1/2" drive ratchet. But getting the filter out sometimes can be a task.

I use a chain whip to get the old one off. The 16v 1.6 uses a stumpy little filter because of the air con pipes, there is very little room to get the filter on and though. I much prefer the filter arrangement on the diesel engines.