reverse switch/temp sensor

nedh

Hi new to the site, picked up an 02 fabia 1.4mpi, the EPC light has come on which I'm guessing is a faulty temp sensor as the gauge is a bit all over the place..? If it is this will the EPC light go out automatically once replaced or will it still have to be cancelled out by vagcom/vcds etc?

sorry if stupid question, not used to 'new' technology with my mk1 golf being my first car/daily for the past year 

and also no reverse lights, fuse and bulbs are fine so could this be the switch or wiring?

If reverse switch will this be a relatively simple swap i.e easy to get to and will I have to drain the gearbox fluid or lose any of it whilst doing this?

also do VW sell the temp sensor & reverse switch and if so does anyone happen to know the prices?

Cheers

The thermostats have a habit of falling to bits as well, so check that too.

The reversing light switch is on the front of the gearbox and easy to get to. If you removed it and quickly screwed in the new one, you won't lose much oil.

I'd look up some part numbers for you but I have to shoot off out now.

I've had the above 2 problems myself recently and all been sorted cheap and easy! About Epc light can't say anything as mine always come up when put the ignition key on but goes soon as the car starts! I've replaced the thermostat housing with the temp sensor together as they come as a pack! Quite cheap of eBay! ~£25 .. You will lose some antifreeze as you take the pipes out to replace the thermostat! Very easy to do if you have the right tools! I took mine to the garage because the reverse light switch was broked and had them both operations done in less than half an hour and for £30 ! When you fit the new reverse light switch be prepared to have a bowl under the car as it takes some time till you pop the new switch in and you will have a considerable amount of gearoil coming out which makes it even more difficult! To save the oil and then put it back on ! Everything works great! Costs less than 100 quid to get them sorted! Cheers

I've had the above 2 problems myself recently and all been sorted cheap and easy! About Epc light can't say anything as mine always come up when put the ignition key on but goes soon as the car starts! I've replaced the thermostat housing with the temp sensor together as they come as a pack! Quite cheap of eBay! ~£25 .. You will lose some antifreeze as you take the pipes out to replace the thermostat! Very easy to do if you have the right tools! I took mine to the garage because the reverse light switch was broked and had them both operations done in less than half an hour and for £30 ! When you fit the new reverse light switch be prepared to have a bowl under the car as it takes some time till you pop the new switch in and you will have a considerable amount of gearoil coming out which makes it even more difficult! To save the oil and then put it back on ! Everything works great! Costs less than 100 quid to get them sorted! Cheers

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies, when the temp gauge does work the engine gets up to temp fine and runs at the correct temp no over heating etc just sometimes it doesn't show up then suddenly jumps up to temp, so I reckon the thermostats fine, might test/replace it anyway after I've sorted the EPC light issue (does it sound like the temp sensor would be the reason why this is on?) and reverse lights just to make sure, done it on my mk1 so shouldn't be too different

Haven't had a look yet so could be the wiring or plug to the switch too so I'll have a search around, but if all looks okay I'll replace the switch, can always top up with a bit of oil if I lose any

but yeah any more info on getting the switch and temp sensor from VW would be helpful, save me waiting for post.. 

The engine management light was also on but noticed it went off today while driving, could this possibly be a dirty throttle body or something along those lines? 

Cheers

But I will consider these too: http://bit.ly/1n36pEK

http://bit.ly/1gMsZk0

They work as good as the original ones but a lot cheaper! You also get 1 or 2 years warranty so anything breaks you covered! Plus with the money you save can get the car to a vag-com and have a diagnostic read for that Epc light! Good luck

I replaced mine with the above one for 6 quids! Cost me more to top up the gear oil as I wasn't prepared for the flood I got

That one's definitely a better price!

yeah think I'll be getting the cheaper one... cheers guys

another thing is that the height adjustment on the drivers seat doesn't work, moves a tiny bit both ways but not any further, is this fixable?