Retrofit Amundsen+

I am about to take delivery of a 2013 Rapid Elegance, fitted with the Swing radio.

Our other car (Yeti Urban) is fitted with an Amundsen+ satnav/DAB radio and I wondered if it would be possible to retrofit one of these units into the Rapid?

I've found the unit in the Yeti very flexible and especially appreciate the integration with the Maxidot / multi-function steering wheel / parking sensors/ voice control etc.

I use a 64Gb SDHC card (formatted to FAT32) in the Yeti and am therefore able to carry most of my music with me in the car.

I did look at alternatives, but the Columbus unit seems enormously overpriced for what it offers. The Bolero unit seems good value, although of course lacks sat-nav.

I've used the Amundsen+ sat-nav extensively in all corners of the country and have found it adequate, if somewhat outdated as far as mapping goes. My local main dealer tells  me updated maps should be available soon.

The Rapid already has bluetooth (GSM II) and also has a USB port.

Has anyone carried out such a retrofit? and does anyone know if the integration with the Maxidot, parking sensor display, bluetooth etc will be maintained?

Also is the USB port in the Rapid compatible with the Amundsen+?

Many thanks for any help / advice.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the same idea.  The radio is the easy bit - sourcing the fascia trim to go around it is a bit harder

I've hit the same problem with the fascia, did you find one in the end? The Amundsen units appears to be easy enough to get hold of, but the trim around the swing radio seems to be custom fit for that specific unit.

Another member had posted this, which is significantly cheaper:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201085067839?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2505wt_725

He said he had used it in his Rapid, for the installation of a double DIN radio CD player. I don't know if it will fit the Amundssen+...

Edited by harisma23

Cheers, Yes saw that.  I don't think the amundsen/Columbus will fit into a double DIN

It was the Columbus that my wife was after which has a slight taper from top to bottom.  Looking closely at my link, its seems that this has got two knockouts - one for a double DIN and one for something else.  I think the 'something else' might be for a skoda size satnav 

I think it's part 17 (5JA858415) on this page: http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/rapid-rap-eu-2013-85720-dashboard-fittings/

I've taken the risk and bought a cheap used one, will see how it goes. Couldn't find any for sale in the UK, but a few European sellers are dotted around.

To save anyone else the bother of prying it off, I've attached an image showing the problem with the 'Swing' fascia. 

post-119264-0-20419000-1405595078_thumb.jpg

I thought that too at first, but the tapering is more pronounced on the outside of the fascia than the headunit itself. I'm not 100% sure but pretty hopeful it's the right part. It cost a 11 euros second hand so if it doesn't fit I'll survive ;)

The unit looks almost square when seated in the dash, but seen alone it's more obviously tapered.

tech-info-r13-amundsen-navigation-system

Edited by mu7

Good luck Mu7.  I gave the part number 5JA858415 to my local Skoda who didn't have one in stock, but would get one for Tuesday.  Similar price.  I'll wait to see what its like - i have a worry that there might be a couple of big round holes in it for the radio nobs, not like the picture from mighty murph.  But like you say, its only a couple of quid, so not the end of the world.  Its the Columbus i think i'll get, but i'll just hang fire with the order until Tuesday

Edited by dubdee1000

I thought that too at first, but the tapering is more pronounced on the outside of the fascia than the headunit itself. I'm not 100% sure but pretty hopeful it's the right part. It cost a 11 euros second hand so if it doesn't fit I'll survive ;)

The unit looks almost square when seated in the dash, but seen alone it's more obviously tapered.

mu7 when you get the trim can you update us all?

Good luck Mu7.  I gave the part number 5JA858415 to my local Skoda who didn't have one in stock, but would get one for Tuesday.  Similar price.  I'll wait to see what its like - i have a worry that there might be a couple of big round holes in it for the radio nobs, not like the picture from mighty murph.  But like you say, its only a couple of quid, so not the end of the world.  Its the Columbus i think i'll get, but i'll just hang fire with the order until Tuesday

Dubdee1000, let me know how the one you have ordered goes to.

Thanks

GOOD NEWS.

Mr Skoda turned up with the parts.  Was half expecting it to have a big round hole in it for the radio dial, but NO!  Took a few snaps with the current radio out and the new fascia offered up to it.  Looks very promising.  Didn't pull the radio out completely - only want to do this once!!

Have ordered a Columbus 510 L.  Fingers crossed should arrive by the end of the week and i'll post the work in progress

post-118233-0-78983000-1406124986_thumb.jpg

post-118233-0-01556100-1406124999_thumb.jpg

post-118233-0-93549700-1406125014_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

mu7 when you get the trim can you update us all?

It appears to be the correct part, though I haven't got the head unit yet to test for sure. The inner cutout that looks square is actually about 10mm wider at the top than the bottom.

One word of warning, I got a used one and it's just slightly darker than the fascia it replaces. I suspect it might actually be from a Toledo. I'll try what I have, if it annoys me I'll get a new skoda one.

4-toledo-satnav.jpg