Fabia VRS MK2 Fault/Question

Hello, I'm new to the forum and looking for advice about a issue that might not be... anyway here goes

So my Fabia MK2 VRS has had the recall gearbox oil and software update just to let you know but this issue did this before hand.

While driving coming to almost a complete stop but not fully (so car has still got second gear selected) as I accelerate away turning left or right I sometimes (rare) get a juddering from the car almost like a clutch judder. I took the car to Skoda (redditch) that have test drove the car and recreated the issue, put the car in the diagnostics and have said it is wheel hop. It is where the LSD and/or suspension is bouncing because 1 wheel is trying to spin and the other has got traction (something like that, I don't think I've explained it well).

Also they said that it didn't help having the front tyres at 50psi (not me). The car had just had a service 1 week ago and I always check the psi for fuel usage and such and make sure it is at 36psi. They have also recommended changing the front tyres because they are running "Event" tyres (not me, from the garage I bought the car).

Anyway the question is does wheel hop sound like an issue which could cause a juddering effect? I've never heard of this so wanted to get some advice.

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the forum.

Your car does not have a Limited Slip Diff,  it has XDS  which is an Electronic Differential Lock,   which is quite different.

Maybe read up on it.

The tyre pressures were certainly not good,

and you need to see the tyres are identical sizes.

So it is going to be checked properly for the Mechatronics Control Unit, & then the Clutch Packs, then the XDS Setting needs checked incase a previous owner reset the XDS.

All in all the Dealership need a Qualified Master Tech to go over the car and find the fault.

george

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/227295-who-needs-a-lsd

If you drive and spin your wheels, the engine power can be cut, and with the XDS the brakes get nipped on to stop a wheel/tyre spinning.

If you boot it hard and spin a tyre you might get a loud bang, judder as the tyres get traction.

Try it when you have the issue with the Traction Control switched off, 

see then if you have what they are calling wheel hop.

If you car is faulty,

best contact Skoda Customer Services, and arrange for it to be looked at by a competent technician.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Ok so today I did a morning run to work with traction control off (so abit cooler) and then on the way home (hot and humid) and it didn't produce any juddering at all, nice and smooth especially at the places it does it most of the time.

So I suppose I believe it could be something to do with the wheels almost breaking traction and the traction control trying to control this.

I'm a lot happier anyway at least it is nothing to do with the gear box.

• 8 years later...