Clattering noise octavia 1.9TDI

Hi

This is my first post, so let me know if I miss anything.

I have a 2006 manual diesel 1.9 Octavia estate (engine code BKC) with about 55k on the clock.

Yesterday I was out rescuing a friend who's french car had just broken down and as I was extolling the virtues of my Skoda (pride comes before a fall!), about 10 miles into the journey, a loud clattering noise started to come from the engine bay. I stopped the car immediately and looked for anything that shouldn't be there and couldn't see anything. I started the engine again and the noise continued. 

I then called the breakdown company and they came about 30 minutes later. 

They started the engine and it sounded fine no noises at all! He followed me abut 5 miles to my local independent garage and when I arrived there was a slight knocking noise at idle, he said it could be a faulty injector.

I had noticed this noise a few days ago but as it was fairly faint, i was not sure if I was imagining it.

The garage have had the car today and think it is the duel mass flywheel, the only thing he has said is he has not come across the loud noise starting then get better on its own. They have given it a good drive, there is no smoke and it pulls well. The oil was a bit low but clean as was the cap (as a side note how much oil usage is normal?)

As a DMF and clutch isn't cheap, I want to be happy that it isn't one of multiple problems. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Many Thanks

Edited by benjjii