Hi,

I have just joined the forum and I need some help please. I bought my Scout about 3 weeks ago and all seemed well, but today I got seriously stuck on a gentle grass slope towing my caravan, fronts wheels spinning, but no drive at all to rear wheels despite them being on firm ground. Feeling a bit worried just now about having bought something that could cost me a fortune to put right? Car has a full Skoda history (70000 ) miles on the clock and next service due in 7000 miles. I await your comments please, and please break it to me gently as the car was not from a dealer :)

Thanks  

Trucker

Welcome to Briskoda :sun:

It can be anything from a faulty Haldex pump to a blown fuse.

You really need to get the car scanned for fault codes. If the Haldex isn't working it will have logged a fault in the car's brain. Use this link to find a friendly local memeber with a laptop and VCDS to run a scan...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/224376-vcds-owners-map/

Has it had a new battery recently? See here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/331271-haldex-failure-scare/

Also see here for another fault that has cropped up from time to time on the Scout...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/318984-scout-2007-haldex-4x4-contol-unit-fault/page-2?hl=%2Bhaldex+%2Bpump#entry3830103

Does the car have any main dealer stamps in the service book? If so ring them up and check to see if they have any record of the Haldex oil being changed.

It is due to be done every 40,000 miles, yet despite this nearly every main dealer doesn't realise and it is rarely changed. I would get it done at the next service regardless.

Edited by silver1011

Thanks guys

I had my local garage do a diagnosis and they have come up with " 0048 Haldex clutch pump (v181 ) open circuit intermittant " 

Their auto electrician reckoned the place to start before considering the pump , was all the electrical connections & earth strap, cleaning all contacts then using brake cleaner as a final cleaner.

So we shall see ? 

One other point is when I got stuck at the weekend with both front wheels spinning, are there any situations with the haldex system where it may confuse that with normal wheel rotation ? and should it always cut in with rear wheel drive ? I think something is wrong though, as I was towing when I got stuck and that from what I understand of the system it should already have transfered more traction to the rear automatically after detecting the trailer loading on the rear suspension.

Finally the car has a full skoda history and I have checked that the haldex oil & filter are logged on the system as being changed at 40000 miles , the car has been serviced every 20000 and has now covered 70000 with it's next service due at 77000.

Thanks

What year is it? Haldex 2 and 4 have slightly different ways of operating.

The rear wheel drive is disabled if it thinks the handbrake is on, so check the switch is ok.

Its also worth making sure the propshaft is physically there, since there have been some cars on here where it was missing.

I can confirm it does have a propshaft as i have had the car on a ramp at a mates garage, with all four wheels off the ground, all wheels do rotate with engine running in first gear. however you can stop rear wheels from turning by hand, is that  correct for that to happen ? I would have thought that having all four wheels off the ground would simulate all four wheels spinning on a slippery surface, so drive should be split equally 50 50 and you should not be able to stop it turning by hand  ?

I am in conversation with the garage I bought it from, but they are up north, so looking to sort car out locally in the SW. We have mutually agreed that the first step has to be a full diagnostic check to determine the extent of the problem, this booked to be done with Skoda on Friday coming.

In answer to other question the car was registered Oct 09 on a 59 plate. i have checked back with the Skoda dealer who maintained the car from new and they said they have no record of any issues with the Haldex 4x4 system, and they confirmed the oil & filter on the haldex were changed at 40000, but of course the driver may not have noticed a problem with the system if he never went anywhere other than the motorway. It was a LEX lease vehicle. Mileage now 70000.

On a 59 plate your Scout is a facelift. This means you have the generation 4 Haldex rather than Gen 2 which is on my pre-FL Scout.

On Haldex IV (4) there a numerous elements used in the decision making process as to whether or not the clutch is pretensioned:

• the throttle position,
  • engine torque and
  • road speed.

The pretensioning is electronically controlled, activating all wheel drive before the wheel slips.

My understanding is that Gen 2 isn't a pre-tensioned device but relies on a pump that activates once slippage occurs. Your Gen 4 is pre-tensioned meaning it reacts AS the wheel slips, not ONCE it occurs.

Some great information (if you are into this sort of thing) on the Skoda Haldex system...

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/haldex/

Thanks for all your various inputs on this it is very much appreciated. My worst fear is Skoda coming back to me after their diagnostic on Friday with no fault found, as our original fault codes at my own garage said it was "intermittant". As , I am only going to get one bite of the cherry with the dealer, and if I tell him no faults found by Skoda, then they are kind of going to say well what's the problem then ???

Still I know it does NOT have 4WD so I guess best to wait and see what Skoda find on Friday.

I did though do one very important thing when buying this car, and that was put part of the payment on my Mastercard, so I have second line of re-dress with the CC company under section 75 of the consumer credit act, worth remembering you only have to spend £100 of the total cost on CC to get protection, up to a max buying price of £30000.

I will post some more once I get the diagnostic report back on Friday.

Thanks again :)

You'll be OK, the fault code is logged until someone clears it, so assuming the fault has occured (which it has) and no one has cleared the codes then Skoda will be able to see for themselves.

Even my wife noticed the lack of 4x4 on the Scout when the pump went. It drives like a complete pig in 4x2. Spinning the wheels in 3rd gear is only really entertaining for about 5 minutes.

If you do find it's the pump failure, a new pump can be got from Haldexparts.com.

• Like 1