sloppy gearstick

Hi,im having trouble selecting gears the gearstick has a lot of play in it.ive changed the oil to a thicker one it looks like there is a linkage on top of the gearbox which has a lot of play in it.ive phoned everywhere for this linkage without succes hope someone can help,thanks.

ive changed the oil to a thicker one

That might not be a good thing. Change it to genuine gearbox oil, I don't think it's any more expensive than other stuff.

I've not heard of the linkages wearing out, but have heard of them needing adjustment. There is information on here and YouTube videos about adjusting the linkage.

Difficulty selecting gears could also be due to the clutch not disengaging properly when you press the pedal down.

Thanks i will change oil back to proper spec.on my octavia the gear cables are not adjustable.ive even took it to skoda main dealers but still no luck,cant find any information about it.

Yes your cables can be adjusted. Definitely change your gear oil for recommended vag oil. Tps is your best bet there. Also, the bush underneath your gear lever could be worn. If the car has done high miles it most probably will be. Although mines done 120k and the bush wasn't too bad.

Sorry mate my cables are not the same as the ones shown and the gearbox is different thats the problem im having with it everythings different.the cables on my octavia are white not black.i ordered some cables of 24/7spares and i got the ones whats shown which dont fit.