Boost problem? Vrs

Ocean87

Hi all, I'm new on here though I've have been reading on here for a while.

I bought a mk1 VRS estate a few weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it so far. However one of the issues I'm having is it seems to be coming on boost and then hesitating then boosting again. This seems to start at around 1800-2000rpm, once I'm past that point it pulls nicely and is smooth. The car has done 53k and is standard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm a bit of noob when it comes to these engines!

Cheers Loz

Is the problem only at part throttle?

The first thing to check is the breather hoses - it's quite common for them to fall to pieces. Take the top engine cover off and then the lower one (that goes round by the dipstick). There is a breather pipe on the right hand side at the top of the engine and some more under the inlet manifold. If you use the search you should find some pictures.

If the breather hoses are OK the next thing I'd try is cleaning the throttle body. Use the search for more info/pictures.

If you're still having problems after that then you may need to clean/replace the MAF. If you replace it make sure you use a genuine one.

• Like 1

As vrsTom said, check your hoses, and while you have the cover off near the dipstick, also check the small bore vacuum hoses that attach to the boost control valves under the plate by the dipstick. these can crack and cause all sorts of annoying faults.

So I had the car serviced and checked out on Saturday, turns out the hoses have already been replaced and after looking through the history this matches up. So next job is to clean the throttle body as after reading about on here it seems to be the same symptoms.

I'm struggling to find a well priced genuine gasket for sale online, can anybody recommended a seller?