Yeti rear bike rack options and advice

SupersonicBlue

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some advice on bike carriers for the Yeti, and I might even have a solution for others in a similar situation to me.

I want to carry bikes on the back of my 2011 Yeti. I've just bought the car, trading in my 2008 Mercedes B200. I used a Thule BackPac 973 on the Merc which fitted brilliantly, just above the lights and plate, was totally rigid once tightened into place.

Thule say the BackPac won't fit the Yeti, and recommend their RaceWay 992. However the RaceWay obscures the lights and plate and would need a lightboard. 

So I've had a go at fitting the BackPac to my car. And it fits! I'm using fitting kit 15 (the one I bought the for Merc). I've had to raise the tray up a level which means the bikes rise quite far above the car, but the pics on Thule's website of the same carrier fitted to the Touran suggest that this is ok. Thule's documentation say there isn't enough clearance to secure the carrier to the bootlid above the bumper. I beg to differ. The boot opens and shuts and the carrier's grips don't appear to touch the bumper.

My only concern is the fittings at the top of the car. The rubber 'feet' that form the carrier's contact point with the car on the roof are not completely flat due to the slight lip on the edge of the Yeti bootlid and the plastic tubes of the fitting kit are only 1mm clear of the lid, but with the carrier fully tightened, it's as rigid as it was on the Merc. However, I haven't driven the car yet with the bikes on, and I want to be sure I'm not taking any risks...

So my questions:
- Has anyone else successfully fitted a Thule BackPac to their Yeti, and if so, which fitting kit did they use?

- Does anyone know of another carrier that mounts to the bootlid, that doesn't obscure the lights/plate?

I don't really want to pay for a towbar just to use it for a towbar mounted carrier, and I'd rather keep the bikes off the roof as I want to be able to carry bikes and a roof box in the future.

I'd love to hear from other cycle-loving Yeti owners on this. The Thule is an excellent carrier - it gave massive confidence when carrying the bikes long distance on the B Class. Hoping it will do the same on the Yeti

I'll post some photos of the carrier in position soon

Thanks

• 1 year later...