Rear wiper works when it thinks it will!

Occasionally the wiper will work when switched on, mostly it won't. However, if left on generally after some minutes it will start. It then seems to try and 'catch up' lost time and wipes continuously for several cycles. Any suggestions?

Probably not what you want to hear but have you considered an exorcism?

On a serious note, when it starts working on its own what happens if you turn it off and on again? Does it restart normally or work at will? If you took the fuse out and replaced it would it reset the wipe pattern? I'm not sure if there is a relay involved.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This morning started the engine tried the rear wiper - nothing

Switched on front wipers and engaged reverse - nothing

Drove off with rear wiper switched on - after 3 or 4 minutes it started. I could then switch it on or off no problem.

Parked car for about 3 hours tried rear wiper - it worked normally.

This problem has existed for 2 or 3 months now.

Have not yet tried anything with the fuse.

• 2 weeks later...

Have discovered that switching wiper on then giving the wiper arm a gentle 'nudge' it springs into life. Anyone any thoughts?

Im not sure exactly how these work.

Would it be possible to check the voltage with a multimeter at the motor when its playing up?

If theres power and its not moving, the motor sounds faulty.

Is the car under warranty?

I could check the voltage if I knew how to get access to the motor - do I remove the door trim?

Car now 7 years old!

adagio, sorry to hear the wiper is acting up. Sadly, the problem is most likely the motor is faulty due to water ingress. The earlier cars had a motor that was prone to this. Mine went the same way. However, Skoda has redesigned the motor and it's available now from you dealer. The new motor is fine. Mine was replaced under warranty but it's not too expensive if you have to replace it yourself. The total job would have cost me just over £80 including labour. Your dealer can tell you for sure if it's the motor with a simple test. Good luck!