Quick/Simple way of changing the 12v socket to switch on with the ignition?

DanHarper

Is there one? I know some cars you can swap the fuse to a different position to achieve this.

Wired up some extra sockets in the glove box and behind the dash for my satnav/camera only to find later they are always on which is not ideal... don't want to remove the plastics again to wire them in to a different source/fit a relay.

• 2 weeks later...

i havent done this yet but will be doing very soon,

if you can find the fuse for the relevant socket in the fusebox then find the corresponding wire on the back, you can cut this wire and fit a relay in its place.

terminal 30 - from fuse

terminal 87 - to socket

terminal 86 - from an ignition (locate an ignition live in the fuse box and tap on to it)

terminal 85 - earth

this will make the socket come on with the ignition

if you can find the fuse for the relevant socket in the fusebox then find the corresponding wire on the back, you can cut this wire and fit a relay in its place.

terminal 30 - from fuse

terminal 87 - to socket

terminal 86 - from an ignition (locate an ignition live in the fuse box and tap on to it)

terminal 85 - earth

Just be mindful of the current draw, make sure you dont tap onto an ignition live terminal with a lower rated fuse as you may cause nuisance fuse blowing through pulling too much current (dependent on what your adding in circuit and what current it draws).

Oops I'd forgotten about this thread.

Just be mindful of the current draw, make sure you dont tap onto an ignition live terminal with a lower rated fuse as you may cause nuisance fuse blowing through pulling too much current (dependent on what your adding in circuit and what current it draws).

I think his suggestion is just to use a relay on a switched, the main current draw will still be going through the original fuse.

Thinking about this I may leave the original socket circuit in place (now mounted in the glove box) for charging things etc. when the car isn't running and then add some additional sockets with a relay for the dash cam to come on when the car is started.

terminal 30 - from fuse

terminal 87 - to socket

terminal 85 - earth

Thanks. I think my terminals may be slightly different, but confirms what I thought that it would be a relay job :)

• Like 1

given you want it in the glove box, id have a spur from the switched +12V from the Radio. nice n local, just have that powering a relay to switch the +12V (possibly at a higher fuse rating) for the actual socket/load