Manual Boot Release in Fabia I VRS

As many people are aware, theres no manual boot release in the original VRS over the standard Fabia specs.

As i'm breaking ellie, my old 1.4 16V elegance (yes with the elusive rear electric windows), i thought id port this over as it didnt seem to difficult.

Essentially if you look at your current boot lock you will notice a hole in the metalwork if you follow the locking pin down, which is meant for the extra cable which remotely pulls the locking pin down to open the boot from the switch in the drivers cabin.

Now in terms of preparation you will need a new section of metalwork as the current metalwork on the vrs is only geared up to have a single lever - for the fuel flap release, however on the elegance i have there is provision for two handles.

The only niggle in obtaining the other section of metal is that on the vrs the fuel cable fits through a hole that is the same size as the boot release cable in the elegance, the other hole for the fuel cable is smaller on the elegance - so you really should just drill it out.

Once you've drilled it out its really just as simple as running the cable through to the boot, removing sections of trim as you go.

NOTE: There is already provision for the extra cable to be trunked through as the plastic connectors for retaining the cable is still installed for two cables, and obviously only uses the one for the fuel flap cable. 

Once youve routed the cable through to the boot, use a suitable push clip to retain the cables head outside of the locking pins hole (which you feed the cable through), this allows you to take the tension against the locking pin and adjust the nut on the cable appropriately in order to make the system work (i used the plastic push clip that was on the elegance for this as it wasnt too difficult to remove, effectively its just a feed through connector that starfishes (only word i could think of) outwards to prevent the cable slipping back through the holes you have drilled out. 

So, mines working now, and ive used the lever cover from the elegance (they just need spraying with the correct name as the fuel cap one is on the boot and vice versa. 

Final note, the plastic section that covers the screw holes may need to be modified as its designed in the vrs to cover the hole for the second lever.

Let me know how you all get on :) 

#Downwithnomanualbootrelease 

#Iwillnotclimbthroughthecartoopentheboot

Aaron :) 

• 1 year later...

Good guide, thanks. When you say "metalwork" do you mean the double levers, instead of just the single fuel release lever. (The levers on the floor at the side of the drivers seat)

Cheers.