Fabia steering angle sensor or Yaw sensor?

Tech1e

Despite what some people think the PAS sensor is NOT a Yaw sensor. a Yaw sensor (if fitted) monitors the Yaw angle or Yaw motion. Yaw motion is a side to side movement of the nose of the car and is a requirement for ESP systems. If you dont have ESP then you dont have a Yaw sensor.

The steering angle sensor just detects that the steering wheel is being turned by a hall effect signal so the pump can provide assistance.

Common missconception is that if your PAS light has come on it will be the sensor, although this is quite common on earlier models on or about 2002MY the sensors were changed for a different set up and very rarely fail. Much like the engine management light its one light for many faults. They really need to be diagnosed with workshop equipment.

Most common cause of failure of the PAS system is a battery or charging fault. As at max load the PAS pump can draw upwards of 60 amps from the battery. This causes the lights to flicker (as they do to some degree anyhow, they always will). If the battery isnt in A1 condition it wont be able to power the steering system.

• 1 year later...

HI

Can you explain if when you switch ignition on car the steering light goes out,but when car is started steering light will come on. Also on another fabia had the same problem and fitted a brand new pump and light went out is it something in the pump itself,any ideas

HI

Can you explain if when you switch ignition on car the steering light goes out,but when car is started steering light will come on. Also on another fabia had the same problem and fitted a brand new pump and light went out is it something in the pump itself,any ideas

Use search on the main Fabia section for some answers - its been covered time and time again. BTW the light coming on then going off prior to starting the car is the self check function - and it lets you know if the bulb still works!

The steering angle sensor just detects that the steering wheel is being turned by a hall effect signal so the pump can provide assistance.

Can anything else cause the steering system to lock up other than dodgy signals from the angle sensor? :) I'm getting no vagcom faults with the sensor, and it's quite new anyway (2 years approx)

• 2 years later...

For info ... we had the steering rack changed this week on our 2004 Elegance PD100 as it was cooked.

Done by a local garage whom I trust ... £530 :'( ... he had problems with the warning light but it appeared to work so I drove home.

If I'm honest it didn't feel right so I took it back the next day. After some investigation it transpires that the wrong rack was put in the correct box by the manufacturers. The racks are IDENTICAL in outward appearances, the only difference being one or two discs in the housing where the sensor fits.

Sensor light off, steering as smooth as greased weasel poo ...

• ColinD unpinned this topic