National Meet, this Sunday.  Meet at → Blyton Park Driving Centre  |  Show Competition & Prizes
Pronounced “bris-skoda”, a brisk skoda, a Skoda driven in a spirited or “brisk” manner.
Photo
- - - - -

Gearbox oil ... when to change ?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 steve200

steve200

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 21:13

Hi guys.

Having decided that my skoda felicia is possibly the best car ive ever owned (to date), I would very much like to make it last as long as possible.

I take good care of all my cars and she is no exception:

Ive changed the spark plugs, coolant, 4 new tyres, battery, engine oil + filter every 5000miles, new pads and discs, got valve clearences spot on, and replaced airbox with an induction kit.

Left wheels standard for max MPG.

I have now turned my attention to the gearbox.

How often should you change the gearbox oil ???
... does it get dirty at all ???

#2 Psyzygy

Psyzygy

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Car:1.3 spi 95 Felicia glxi 136B SPi

Posted 18 December 2007 - 21:58

40 000 miles according to Haynes (Maybe I should change mine twice, just to be sure ;)) G/box oil doesn't really get dirty as such, it's the contact with high temp & exhaust gasses that contaminates engine oil. After time, the high pressure additives break down in g/box oil, hence the need to change it, the only contaminants usually being minute particles of the synchro cones that wear slightly in normal operation. These are expelled when changing/draining the oil.

#3 steve200

steve200

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 22:05

Thanks Psyzygy! I know where the drain plug is, so ill get on and buy some fresh oil soon.

hope you get your spark issue sorted soon, sounds like a headache. :thumbup:

#4 anewman

anewman

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 22:14

Flush the cooling system thoroughly and use g12+ lifetime coolant mixed 50:50 with de-ionised water, you'll need about 6 litres (3 litres of g12+). This will save you the effort of changing that until a problem occurs, like head gasket failure, radiator leak etc.

Haynes says to change the brake fluid every year (for the Favorit), but the Skoda manual says every 2 years. I think Haynes expects people to maybe take longer to do the things it says than they should.

I think a common problem with these cars is the linkage wearing out, so if you have a floppy kn0b (the gear one) it may benefit from an overhaul, but I think it's more a case of whether you can put up with it or not.

I have all the bits needed to overhaul my linkage (am considering getting the gear stick incase the ball joint is worn). Just need an entire day or so to get it up on the ramps and take it out. Prefereably with longer day light hours than at present. Can't seem to get anything done by getting up at crack of dawn, without it going dark at the moment.

Gear oil is £2.49 in Wilkinsons for 2 litres, but you need about 2.4 litres for a full re-fill.

#5 WoodieGuthrie

WoodieGuthrie

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • Car:Totally Stock:-)

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:16

Thanks Psyzygy! I know where the drain plug is, so ill get on and buy some fresh oil soon.

hope you get your spark issue sorted soon, sounds like a headache. :thumbup:

A word of warning, from long experience on many cars...

CHECK YOU CAN REFILL THE BOX before draining it!!!:(

Psyzygy is spot on though-40,000 miles is average:)

#6 Psyzygy

Psyzygy

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 13:51

The Felly box is filled through the speedo drive hole and the drive itself is the dipstick...

#7 WoodieGuthrie

WoodieGuthrie

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 13:56

The Felly box is filled through the speedo drive hole and the drive itself is the dipstick...

I know... and they can be a biaaatch to deal with when you have hands like shovels!

just trying to save steve200 the embarrasment:rofl:

#8 Psyzygy

Psyzygy

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 14:00

Maybe he has "ladyhands" :rofl: (No offence Steve)

#9 WoodieGuthrie

WoodieGuthrie

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 14:24

Maybe he has "ladyhands" :rofl: (No offence Steve)

oooh! driving gloves...

Suit you, sir:rofl:

#10 zeecue

zeecue

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Car:Skoda Superb Elegance 2004 1.9TDI Diamond Silver Metallic

Posted 19 December 2007 - 15:12

The oil in the gearbox, need to be up to the gear on the speedo cable, just so it covers the gear.

#11 iansmith

iansmith

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car:1998 1.3 Felicia

Posted 19 December 2007 - 15:17

A word of warning, from long experience on many cars...

CHECK YOU CAN REFILL THE BOX before draining it!!!:(

Psyzygy is spot on though-40,000 miles is average:)

If on some cars the facility to refill the gearbox is not provided, then surely the car manufacturer does not not believe it is necessary to change the gearbox oil ?

Otherwise a facility to refill the gearbox would be provided ?

:confused:

#12 Psyzygy

Psyzygy

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 15:26

That would seem a bit odd if the oil comes out when the reverse light switch is removed... And if it's got a drain plug!

#13 richardsfavorit

richardsfavorit

Brisk skoda driver :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 18:52

Steve needs to beware of the smell - its horrible - hold your breath!

#14 anewman

anewman

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 19:18

Steve needs to beware of the smell - its horrible - hold your breath!

I'd read this before and it didn't seem all that bad to me. Not a great smell but not all that over-bearing get me outta here.

#15 steve200

steve200

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 19:49

Left wheels standard for max MPG.

...however the right wheels are 19" alloys for 'cruzin' the tesco car park.

Anyway, it seems as though the solution would be to purchase a technically proficient nice smelling woman and enslave her until she agrees to change my oil, thus satisfying both smell and hand size criteria.

#16 Tom_vRS

Tom_vRS

Family Man

• Honorary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts
  • Car:'56 Ford Galaxy Ghia / '03 MG ZT 1.8T

Posted 19 December 2007 - 20:10

The smell is rancid for sure.

I changed my passat gearbox oil at 125k, and the improvement in slickness and smoothness of change was remarkable.

I'd only consider Quantum branded oil from your local Skoda/VW/Audi dealer. :)

#17 Psyzygy

Psyzygy

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 21:13

...however the right wheels are 19" alloys for 'cruzin' the tesco car park.

Anyway, it seems as though the solution would be to purchase a technically proficient nice smelling woman and enslave her until she agrees to change my oil, thus satisfying both smell and hand size criteria.

:rofl: :thumbup::p

#18 steve200

steve200

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 21:49

it ok because i DO have little girl hands :saythat: :D

#19 WoodieGuthrie

WoodieGuthrie

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:26

If on some cars the facility to refill the gearbox is not provided, then surely the car manufacturer does not not believe it is necessary to change the gearbox oil ?

Otherwise a facility to refill the gearbox would be provided ?

:confused:

I Meant that you should check that the refill hole/plug can be opened so that you don't end up wi a box that's drained,but can't be refilled.

Sorry if I wasn't clear:thumbup:

#20 Captain Sisko

Captain Sisko

Friskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts
  • Car:Renault 21 Monaco 2L

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:50

I love my Skoda Felicia too and will prob get the gear oil changed as it crunches gears sometimes.

My uncle drove my Felly whilst his Vectra 1.8 went in for a winter service, new front tyres and brake pads. My Uncle didn't like it that much saying the brakes felt weak and that the skoda badge lacks "prestige" when I said I'd replace my Felly with the Fabia VRs or an Octavia

Don't think he was driving it economically either as its just nudged 150 and its on a half tank.

But he has hi Vectra back now and my Skoda is no longer being "abused" :D

#21 cheezemonkhai

cheezemonkhai

Brisk...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,687 posts
  • Car:A skoda :o

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:31

I love my Skoda Felicia too and will prob get the gear oil changed as it crunches gears sometimes.

My uncle drove my Felly whilst his Vectra 1.8 went in for a winter service, new front tyres and brake pads. My Uncle didn't like it that much saying the brakes felt weak and that the skoda badge lacks "prestige" when I said I'd replace my Felly with the Fabia VRs or an Octavia

Don't think he was driving it economically either as its just nudged 150 and its on a half tank.

But he has hi Vectra back now and my Skoda is no longer being "abused" :D

The only prestige a Vectra has is that most people who drive them are Sales reps or uninsured ch*vs.

Sure skoda doesn't have much prestige, but FFS man, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. In this instance a Vectra is definitely a glass house.

#22 Captain Sisko

Captain Sisko

Friskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts
  • Car:Renault 21 Monaco 2L

Posted 20 December 2007 - 15:26

True.
When he bought it off the garage he gets his car serviced at it was an ex courtesy/rental car changing from a M plate Cavalier

(A 51 Reg Vectra 1.8 LS by the way) befor the "square lights" model
Been in a front end shunt and you could tell it was repaired.
Was back in that garage quite a few times after as the a/c didnt work and some other minor things. everything works now but the engine still sounds "gruff"

Just bought after I got my Skoda and he thinks he got it cheap.
I have driven said Vectra and I didn't like it as the Cav felt better imo.
In fact the 1.8l Ecotec engine may be the cars best feature!
He wants a Merc next. :rolleyes:
His main arguement being Girls don't like Skodas
Granted a "Skoda" badge doesnt have that much prestige compared to other brands. But quite a few girls on here like and drive Skodas ;)

A little off topic! but there you go

#23 richardsfavorit

richardsfavorit

Brisk skoda driver :)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 19:04

Rubbish that girls don't like skodas - my ex never minded mine, and my mates ex wanted to drive his alot (Felicia Fun)! My sister has had two and loves the Felicia 1.6!!

#24 pinkskud

pinkskud

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • Car:1.6l felicia 1998

Posted 20 December 2007 - 23:15

tindocat has some photos to prove that the birds love the felly!

#25 Psyzygy

Psyzygy

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 23:24

It's the man, not the machine and we all know that Skoda driving men are REAL men :D

#26 WoodieGuthrie

WoodieGuthrie

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 16:28

It's the man, not the machine

Going by your car history, you must really believe it:eek:

#27 swedishskoda

swedishskoda

100,000 miles and counting...

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,927 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 16:31

Going by your car history, you must really believe it:eek:

Apparantly you haven't seen tha latest news? The girls of East Midlands might have gone unmolested lately, but now he's up and running again...:D

#28 WoodieGuthrie

WoodieGuthrie

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 16:38

Apparantly you haven't seen tha latest news? The girls of East Midlands might have gone unmolested lately, but now he's up and running again...:D

Just replied to it! we need to find somewhere else to postwhore...

:D

I have to say though that I fear that ladeeys running in the east midlands should be able to dodge him.. spi aint the way forward:rofl:

#29 anewman

anewman

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 21:42

My Uncle didn't like it that much saying the brakes felt weak and that the skoda badge lacks "prestige" when I said I'd replace my Felly with the Fabia VRs or an Octavia

I'm beginning to think the soft brake pedal is a Skoda trait. But slam your foot to the floor and the brakes are definitely there :)

#30 daverapid

daverapid

Skoda Owners' Club G.B.

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 23:41

I'm beginning to think the soft brake pedal is a Skoda trait. But slam your foot to the floor and the brakes are definitely there :)

:)If you've got VW rear drum brakes [which every Skoda with rear drums from and including the Mk2 Favorit does] and you want a better, firmer brake pedal try this:

Slacken both handbrake cables right off [2 10mm nuts under the lever]. Remove rear drums, knock down the adjuster wedges [that are meant to adjust automatically but never do] till the drum just fits over the shoes. Obviously while the drums are off check the shoes, cylinders, springs and clean out the dust ect. Refit drums, reset cables and try the pedal and handbrake lever. You'll find that the cables won't need to be tightened as much, the handbrake will be better, and best of all the pedal will be firmer. Don't overdo it and end up with binding rear brakes though.:thumbup:

Basically it's pretty rare for any automatic shoe adjusters to work, no matter which make or model!;)

0 User(s) reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users