Everything posted by chrisgreen
-
What have you done to your Superb III today?
Very nice job there, and a very tempting mod to do to mine at some point too. I also need to find time to strip down my wing mirrors as I have the uprated downlights to fit to them, to replace the not very bright factory ones.
-
Shop Gone from Infotainment Menu
I was on 330, which still had the shop until a few days ago. But now on 334 which has reinstated the shop.
-
Help needed to code out reversing camera from new head unit, NW London
Hello In need of some help please. I recently swapped out the RNS 315 nav unit in my Fabia II Combi and replaced it with a RCD 360 from China. With the maps on the 315 now getting a bit stale (VW stopped supplying updates about 4 years ago), the new unit instead offers a factory-fit-like option with Carplay and Android Auto. However, the new unit is coded, by default, to support a reversing camera. I have no plans to fit one, and it's an annoying error (no camera found) to have to clear from the 360's display the first time I try to reverse each trip. The AliExpress seller of the head unit has sent me a series of screenshots to help navigate through the VCDS steps needed to code out the reversing camera function (Warning, they are in Chinese, but they've marked everything up so hoping it's going to be more a case of following the boxes rather than having to translate stuff). However, I don't have VCDS myself. hoping someone who does in my broad radius (I'm in NW London, but happy to travel as needed to get this done) will be able to help me out. Happy to come to you and pay you for your time, though this should be a quick process, hopefully. Thanks Chris
-
Offered an OTA update today
If the head unit was able to pull in the OTA DAB station icons as well as using that VW database, that would likely solve the problem and fill in the gaps. Unfortunately, they don’t use the OTA stuff at all it seems, only the VW icon database.
-
Offered an OTA update today
But I shouldn’t have to. VW/Skoda should be updating that logo database more than once a decade, especially as it's one of the features my Infotainment Online subscription should be maintaining.
-
Offered an OTA update today
Yeah, I got the 334 update on Saturday. Seemed to go on OK, then did a large supplementary update that also reinstalled the shop to the main menu (it had disappeared a week ago from mine). Hoping this will see the end of the daily updates and hopefully sort out the issues with CarPlay being super slow to respond to screen presses etc. Just need them now to add icons for all the radio stations that still aren’t in the logo pack and we will be laughing.
-
Shop Gone from Infotainment Menu
Hello Like many, I'm currently cursed with near daily OTA updates that don't seem to be doing anything, despite reporting a successful install. One thing I did notice yesterday however was that the shop has been removed from the in-car menu system, meaning there is no longer a way to purchase Cubic Telecom eSIM data plans or renew Care Connect & Infotainment Online via the car itself. Anyone else seeing this?
-
RNS 315 Fabia mk2 Retrofit
All sounds perfectly fine. The radio will go into standby when you take the key out. Yes, you can still turn it back on as it's on a permanent live, but while it's off, it's drawing next to nothing. I did the same retrofit to my mum's (now mine) Fabia II Combi in 2014, 12 years later, both the car and the RNS-315 have been fine with no flat battery issues. However, that said I finally removed it about two weeks ago and replaced it with an RCD 360. As map support for the RNS-315 ended years ago, I wanted more functional sat-nav in the car, so the CarPlay support of the 360 - and its factory look - has worked well. I just need someone with VCDS to hemp me code out the reversing camera setting on it.
-
Need help coding out reversing camera from RDC 360 Pro
Hello Need some help please with my new head unit. Last night, I swapped out the Amundsen+ from my 2012 Fabia II Combi, and fitted a RDC 360 Pro that I obtained very cheaply from Ali Express. It works great (even the mic is apparently clearer than the factory one fitted in my light cluster) and it's good to have CarPlay in the car given that VW stopped updating the maps for the Amundsen+ quite a while ago. Anyway - I forgot to ask the seller to code out the reversing camera function (don't have one, no plans to fit one). Have been chatting with them this morning and they've confirmed it can coded out with VCDS. They've provided these screenshots (in Chinese) to help with making the right changes. Would anyone with VCDS in or around London and the Home Counties feel confident in doing this? Happy to come to you? Thanks Chris
-
Applications software update
Sadly no, it’s just more people who, like us, have no further information to share and are having the same issue.
-
Applications software update
I'm having exactly the same issue. It's pretty much every day, and even though I'm lettingthem run and getting confirmation notifications that they've been installed, it's back again the next trip. I've spoken to my dealer - clueless. But happy to charge me £120 to do a diagnostic (car has a Skoda extended warranty and an active car connect subscription). I've emailed Skoda UK about it - no response.
-
What have you done to your Superb III today?
Just filled my tank up. £102.23 for 66 litres. First time ever in nearly 30 years of driving that I've spent over £100 of a fillup. Come close a few times, but never gone into three figures. I might go and have a lie down, it's a lot to take in 🤣
-
What have you done to your Superb III today?
Mine is the same one, from the same seller. @leolito so that’s two of us who have this version working on a Superb III.
-
What have you done to your Superb III today?
I considered it, but lifting the whole surround would have left me with the same issue. If anything, it would have made manipulating the module cable to go down and then 90 degrees into the cable channel a little bit harder as I would have had even more trim in the way of my fat fingers. It just needed wiggling and eventually slotted into place allowing for the buton bank to slot back in without any force. I'll see how it gets on, but as I wouldn't turn it back on mid drive anyway (the whole point is to keep it off all the time) I should be OK as long as it doesn't malfunction.
-
What have you done to your Superb III today?
Today I fitted one of those memory modules between the loom and the stop-start activate/deactivate, so that it will stay deactivated by default. Very easy to fit, surprisingly easy to remove the button bank on the right hand side of the DSG shifter. Only challenge was gettting it back in. There's enough room for the extra wiring, it was just getting the hard plastic bit in the middle of the memory module cable to go around the bend and into the cable channel. With a bit of wiggling and encouragement it soon went into the channel and I was able to pop the button bank back into place
-
Mk2 Fabia upgrades - Some Questions
@ehr95 On the head unit front - the retrofit for a RNS315 is very simple, I did it in mine. However, VW stopped publishing map updates in 2020 for it. so if I were doing it now, I would be more inclined to go for a RCD330. It still has the factory look but delivers modern functionality such as CarPlay and Android Auto, rather than restricting you to the now out-of-date factory nav. RCD330 also has Bluetooth, and I'm guessing your car doesn't have a Bluetooth module already (given the aftermarket unit you've just removed), which would make a RCD330 a logical choice. Reversing: Camera is always good if you can do it, otherwise reversing sensors are cheap and easy to fit. I retrofitted a cheap kit from Euro Car Parts to mine, still working perfectly 10 years later. The inside of the rear bumper already has the markings for where to drill the holes for the sensors.
-
11111 1111.1 The Show Us Your Odo Thread! (now 12345 678.9) + Brisky Tree odo fun
Hit an exciting milestone in the Superb last night - 20,000 miles! Only 15,000 are mine though - bought it with 5k already on the clock. So the 15,000 I’ve added to that have been from 31st May 2024 onwards.
-
Confused by the Skoda end-of-life annoucement for 2G/3G
Well exactly - it's really not clear how this can be fixed in software alone. Unless the cellular module in MOD3 pre-UNECE cars is in fact a 4G/LTE one that has just been hobbled to run on the older (possibly cheaper to use) 2G and 3G services. In which case, software could remove this and allow it to operate fully, solving the issue. But nobody knows it seems. I even emailed Skoda UK about it asking for furhter clarification. The reply was like I was talking to a small potted plant.
-
Confused by the Skoda end-of-life annoucement for 2G/3G
Morning all Now, I am happy to accept that I may be being a bit dumb over this, but I'm still trying (and failing) to fully understand the implications for my car's Skoda Connect services once 2G/3G switch-off kicks in here in the UK and in Europe. Mine is a 2023 model (one of the last built before the switchover to the Mk4). Seems to be eSIM-based (no SIM slot in the glove box), I'm currently paid up for Infotainment Online and Remote Access until September 2026. According to the impact sheet here: https://www.skoda-auto.com/_doc/5c081d0d-8776-4916-9de3-cb96a5f3c851, my car sits within the timeframe that it is MOD3 pre-UNECE. However, the sheet has conflicting statements: Skoda Connect Services Working post 2G/3G sunset = No Measures = SW update via Over-the-Air or by service partner Emergency Call Working post 2G/3G sunset = Yes Measures = Working till further notice If Connect services are going to stop working on the car after the 2G/3G shutdown, what software update can they be doing that's going to enable on-going functionality? Either the cellular module is already 4G/LTE or it isn't. You can't turn a 2G or 3G module into a 4G one with software alone, it's a fundamentally different hardware technology. I did have a little flurry of software updates to the car this past weekend, but they all seemed to be relating to the online store and mailbox rather than for connectivity. And yes, I've tried having this conversation with a dealer. They, sadly, had no idea.
-
Wind deflector recommendations
Heko are definitely the best option - they fit well and are decent quality. I had a set on my Rapid and also on the Fabia. However, I replaced the ones on the Fabia recently with Ispeed ones (one of the Heko pieces got damaged). The iSpeed ones are not as well made and were a poor fit (despite being designed for the car). Had to trim edges to make them fit, which has never been necessary with Heko wind deflectors.
-
OTA update stopped working - any ideas how to fix it?
Likewise, a copy of 332 would be appreciated please. Otherwise it'll be May (service time) before I can get my dealer to fix it. Thanks
-
OTA update stopped working - any ideas how to fix it?
The car has been EOLed now the Mk4 is out. The volume of updates will now tail off substantially to critical bug fixes, and if you pay for them (as it sounds like you do), map updates. I’ve not had any OTA update this year. However, a dealer visit is in order as you are behind for some reason. I’ve just gone out to check mine. I’m on software 0330 and nav database 25.8.
-
What have you done to your Superb III today?
Not so much today, but rather this past weekend, took my Superb on it's first international run. Went to a retro computer show in Munchengladbach, a 700-mile round trip from North West London via the Channel Tunnel, France, Belgium and Holland before getting into Germany. Did the whole trip on one tank of petrol, with 100 miles range to spare. Car reckoned I got 52MPG on the trip.
-
Can you retrofit rear parking sensors?
There’s also a third option - don’t worry too much about buying reversing sensors and instead teach your daughter how to reverse without hitting stuff? 🤣🤣🤣
-
Can you retrofit rear parking sensors?
Yes - two options: 1) source the original factory sensors and loom, have them installed and coded in. Expensive but will look OEM. 2) just buy any old set of generic reversing sensors and have them fitted. They take power from the reversing light, thus they only common when you are in reverse. Perfectly good and many can either supply the sensors in the same colour as your car (or close enough) or you can have them painted.